Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to get a any job/ summer job

Options
  • 28-06-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello everyone. I have been looking for a part time or full time job but due to my lack of job experience, I've not been able to get any job. I've been trying for more than 2 months now, but till now I'm unable to get a place to work. While I understand that I can't get the job due my lack of experience, how am I going to gain experience if no one wants to give me an opportunity to work?

I applied through indeed and went handing in Cv’s to managers but still no luck.

Even though I've almost given up, I'm still trying wherever I can as I believe I can get a place to work.

What should I do in this case?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What area/field are you looking in? Do you have any qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Adel2931 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I have been looking for a part time or full time job but due to my lack of job experience, I've not been able to get any job. I've been trying for more than 2 months now, but till now I'm unable to get a place to work. While I understand that I can't get the job due my lack of experience, how am I going to gain experience if no one wants to give me an opportunity to work?

I applied through indeed and went handing in Cv’s to managers but still no luck.

Even though I've almost given up, I'm still trying wherever I can as I believe I can get a place to work.

What should I do in this case?

Thank you

Are you willing to do any type of job? Fast food restaurant, shop assistant, cinema attendant, etc?
    Have you any friends working somewhere who could give you a heads up if there is a role?
    Are you close to an urban centre?

Ask friends if they know of an opportunity where they work?
    Walk in and ask such places above if there is someone you could speak to about summer work?
    Be enthusiastic about why you want to work in any place if they ask you what interests you. Don't just say I need any sort of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Adel2931

is_that_so wrote: »
    What area/field are you looking in? Do you have any qualifications?

I have been applying literally everywhere, eg. Restaurants, cafe’s, shops, McDonald’s etc. so I would consider any area.

The only qualifications I have are LC and Fetac level 5 in Laboratory techniques.

You're doing the right thing - perseverance. You just have to keep trying.

What kinds of jobs are you going for?

My big mistake back when I was doing summer work during college is that I always restricted myself to jobs I thought I was good enough for (i.e. retail floor/till work). Looking back now, I should have been aiming much higher. If you're willing to do a 9-5, you could check out summer internships on LinkedIn? Granted, a lot of them are organised a bit more in advance but you could well land something good.

I have been applying literally everywhere, eg. Restaurants, cafe’s, shops, McDonald’s etc. so I would consider any area.

The only qualifications I have are LC and Fetac level 5 in Laboratory techniques.
    Are you sending CVs or just walking in off the street? Have you considered an agency? https://noelgroup.ie/ do a lot of service jobs and there are other agencies as well. And I concur with the poster above, just stick at it.:)

• Advertisement

Are you willing to do any type of job? Fast food restaurant, shop assistant, cinema attendant, etc?
    Have you any friends working somewhere who could give you a heads up if there is a role?
    Are you close to an urban centre?

Ask friends if they know of an opportunity where they work?
    Walk in and ask such places above if there is someone you could speak to about summer work?
    Be enthusiastic about why you want to work in any place if they ask you what interests you. Don't just say I need any sort of a job.

Yes I am willing to do any type of job. Unfortunately I have only been living in Dublin for under a year so I don’t have many friends and most of them don’t have a job so they’re unable to help me out.

I have been enthusiastic about why I want to work in certain places whenever I had interviews but each time I wasn’t offered a job due to the lack of experience.

Are you applying in person or through online/postal methods?

Why should any business hire you?
    Answer this in about 100 words off the top of your head. Your answer will give readers the opportunity to provide some feedback?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you sending CVs or just walking in off the street? Have you considered an agency? https://noelgroup.ie/ do a lot of service jobs and there are other agencies as well. And I concur with the poster above, just stick at it.:)

I have been doing both, seeing cvs and walking in off the street. And no i didn’t know about agencies, but I will consider it now! Thank you very much!

Yes I am willing to do any type of job. Unfortunately I have only been living in Dublin for under a year so I don’t have many friends and most of them don’t have a job so they’re unable to help me out.

I have been enthusiastic about why I want to work in certain places whenever I had interviews but each time I wasn’t offered a job due to the lack of experience.
    I think you need to put past interviews down to experience, learn from them and get better at interviews. You have obviously had a positive effect on some despite your lack of experience.

I have been doing both, seeing cvs and walking in off the street. And no i didn’t know about agencies, but I will consider it now! Thank you very much!
    The good thing is that you can upload your CV to them. Check out Indeed and jobs.ie as well. Best of luck and you will find a job!

• Advertisement

Are you applying in person or through online/postal methods?

Why should any business hire you?
    Answer this in about 100 words off the top of your head. Your answer will give readers the opportunity to provide some feedback?

I have been applying through both online and in person methods.

I feel like any business could consider hiring me because I’m a highly motivated and determined person who is very well organised and has a strong attention to detail. I have great communication skills and I am able to communicate to a wide range of individuals. Very adaptable and great at prioritising workload. Excellent at following the instructions that are given and very punctual with great time keeping.
    In a workplace I would love to make best use of my existing abilities and develop new skills.

I have been applying through both online and in person methods.

I feel like any business could consider hiring me because I’m a highly motivated and determined person who is very well organised and has a strong attention to detail. I have great communication skills and I am able to communicate to a wide range of individuals. Very adaptable and great at prioritising workload. Excellent at following the instructions that are given and very punctual with great time keeping.
    In a workplace I would love to make best use of my existing abilities and develop new skills.

Looks pretty good.
    If you are applying to service industry type companies I would suggest that you include that you work well as part of a team or as an individual and that you enjoy interacting with the public/customers.

Given that you have not much in terms of prior experience, I suggest prioritising the face to face interactions such as asking to speak to a manager. Maybe go in first thing in the morning as the manager is often on site then and they may be quiet so would have time to speak with you.
    As soon as they ask about experience, turn your response in to acknowledging that you are light in that respect but still feel you have a lot to offer, are a quick learner and eager to prove yourself.

Tailor what you say for each specific company/scenario. for example, tell McDonalds that you can multitask (i.e handle several customers/orders at once) or a cleaning company that you have strong attention to detail.

Have a copy of your CV with a cover letter (important in your case) outlining your personal skills and what you are looking for and offer it or offer that you can email it to them if they wish (better for you as you can send a follow up email a day later asking what their thoughts are). Include in your cv any volunteering that you did or group tasks during school.
    Try to speak to a manager or senior person where possible, even if it means calling back later, be polite to everyone and if you do hand over your cv or an application to anyone, ask them their name so you can chase them later.

Looks pretty good.
    If you are applying to service industry type companies I would suggest that you include that you work well as part of a team or as an individual and that you enjoy interacting with the public/customers.

Given that you have not much in terms of prior experience, I suggest prioritising the face to face interactions such as asking to speak to a manager. Maybe go in first thing in the morning as the manager is often on site then and they may be quiet so would have time to speak with you.
    As soon as they ask about experience, turn your response in to acknowledging that you are light in that respect but still feel you have a lot to offer, are a quick learner and eager to prove yourself.

Tailor what you say for each specific company/scenario. for example, tell McDonalds that you can multitask (i.e handle several customers/orders at once) or a cleaning company that you have strong attention to detail.

Have a copy of your CV with a cover letter (important in your case) outlining your personal skills and what you are looking for and offer it or offer that you can email it to them if they wish (better for you as you can send a follow up email a day later asking what their thoughts are). Include in your cv any volunteering that you did or group tasks during school.
    Try to speak to a manager or senior person where possible, even if it means calling back later, be polite to everyone and if you do hand over your cv or an application to anyone, ask them their name so you can chase them later.

Thank you so so much for your help, I will definitely follow your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If it's a summer job you won't get anywhere with the chains /bigger employers. It's just not long enough to train someone and them to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Unlikely to be of any real help to you now, given the short notice, but I've acted as a referee for several youths with "no experience" on the basis of their participation as a volunteer at a festival in France, of which I'm one of the managers. The work is real and varied, so I can adapt a written reference to several different types of job. Maybe you can find something similar closer to home (or else grab a toothbrush and get over here next week!)

See this thread for more info on my event: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057757526/1/#post103925745 (esp bump post from a month ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Where are you living? Are you over 18 and willing to work nights and no convictions? I know a place hiring in Tallaght and Santry. It's not ideal working some nights in an unskilled job but it could be better than nothing and get you some experience if you decide to move on. Should be easy enough to get into.

*They won't be hiring for summer jobs, full and part time permanent only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

A good way to get work experience is to volunteer. For example- Charity shops are often looking for helpers- that would give you some retail experience and a reference. Some cities have volunteer coordinator centres - Galway has one. They have a huge variety of positions- from volunteering at arts festivals for two weeks to doing social media for charities. It’s a great way to get experience, meet possible referees and keep your ear to the ground for paid employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If it's a summer job you won't get anywhere with the chains /bigger employers. It's just not long enough to train someone and them to be useful.

Not necessarily true if you will go on to be weekend staff once college term starts and then Christmas staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Not necessarily true if you will go on to be weekend staff once college term starts and then Christmas staff etc.

Thats exactly how retail hires, Xmas staff that stick around during term time. I was a retail manager for longer than I care to remember for large chains and I never heard tell of anyone hiring summer staff. During the summer you're quiet anyway so want to keep staffing numbers down for your P&L. You tend not to cover holidays if you can help it.

OP needs to think outside the box of handing in CVs to large chain employers.

Any luck OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement