Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abu Dhabi-midwifery

Options
  • 28-06-2019 12:08pm

Hi there,
    There is a few old threads on working as a nurse/midwife in the above but id like some up to date info.
    So we are thinking of moving to Abu Dhabi with our 4 children in the foreseeable future, mainly we want to make some money, save some, hopefully buy back here in the future.
    Can anyone with experience of living there with kids tell me how it realistically is.
    I hear schools are crazy expensive? (How can those 'people' I often hear about go with kids and save and come back buy a house mortgage free, is this just hearsay???)
    What can a nurse/midwife expect in her monthly salary and what benefits are usually attached. Working hours? Shifts? Conditions
    Were not worried about how much of a culture shock it is. Were not worried about the heat.
    We want a good standard of living, while making a nest egg.
    What work is there for my husband, good paying, he doesn't have a skill/trade so to speak, was a professional sportsman, retired now at the gran old age of 30, he has a forklift license, safe pass, security license..
    Kids will be 2,9,11,17 when we plan to go.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Its been a while since I lived there OP so Im sure I stand to be corrected on the current situation but:

Schools/house etc - a lot of companies in the Middle East provide accommodation and school fees for their expat employees or at least give them a substantial allowance towards rent and its up to you how much you spend on it.
    Husband work - realistically none. He doesn't have a sought after trade and companies can employee locals or eastern expats for cheaper than a western forklift driver/security guard. So a work permit for him could be hard to come by.
    Kids are okay - 17 year old may be an issue as they only have 1 year left in school and the system is completely different to here but don't quote me on that one.

As I say someone living there now or more recently will be able to verify the above but I don't think its changed much

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm here 10 months now but I don't have kids. I do work in the sports industry though so could perhaps help with your husband if you relocate?

Schools are mad expensive but the facilities are outrageous. A teacher and teaching assistant to every classroom and the schools are vibrant and colourful. A world away from what we got at home.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm here 10 months now but I don't have kids. I do work in the sports industry though so could perhaps help with your husband if you relocate?

Schools are mad expensive but the facilities are outrageous. A teacher and teaching assistant to every classroom and the schools are vibrant and colourful. A world away from what we got at home.

Thanks!
    We were wondering if he could get into some kinda sports role. Coaching maybe? Rugby is our thing. One of the kids plays hurling..otherwise rugby blood!!!
    Any idea if companies (healthcare)ever include schooling in your contract benefit? Heard that somewhere but not sure.

Thanks!
    We were wondering if he could get into some kinda sports role. Coaching maybe? Rugby is our thing. One of the kids plays hurling..otherwise rugby blood!!!
    Any idea if companies (healthcare)ever include schooling in your contract benefit? Heard that somewhere but not sure.

Also is saving a good possibility when working there?
    Hard to believe when you are squeezed to the limit here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks!

I'm not sure if there are full time or part time rolls in coaching rugby (I'm full time coaching soccer) but the two clubs are Abu Dhabi Saracens and Abu Dhabi Harlequins.

I can't answer the second question I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement