Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling incentives 101

Options
  • 28-06-2019 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Government and waste-disposal businesses are complaining about people like me not sorting recylables from non-recyclables. But they are not incentivising us to do it right; they are penalising us if we get it right.

My recyclable bin costs 1.4c per litre.
    My non-recyclable bin costs 7.0c per litre - 5 times more expensive.

Is this item recylable? Hmmm? I'm not sure.
    It's €1 if I put it in the recyclable bin or €5 in the non-recyclable bin. I think it's probably recyclable.
    The recycle bins are contaminated because we are penalised for using the other bin.

Why the bin colours are not standardised is a whole other issue.
    On my street we have blue, black, grey, green, purple bins and plastic bags with stickers. Then we hear ads about blue bins, green bins, brown bins, recycling bins, waste bins, yada yada. Somebody from the regulator's office needs to go to the joined-up-thinking class

Advertisement