Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council of Europe Restores Russia’s Voting Rights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

There is an argument to be made in bringing Russia back to the table for talks, and bringing its citizens under the protection of the European Court of Human Rights. Whether such things outweigh turning a blind eye towards Crimea and other Russian aggression is probably going to come down to personal opinion.

I have the rather cynical view that talking to Russia won't accomplish much. They were a member of the Council of Europe when they annexed Crimea, and they still went ahead with it. Removing a punishment you instituted for blatant imperialism risks sending the message that blatant imperialism isn't really all that bad.

Also, as a note (I don't know if it can be changed) but the Council of Europe is separate from the EU - unlike the European Council and the Council of the European Union, which is not a confusing jumble of councils at all - so that EU tag should be removed from the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kooper

Dytalus wrote: »
    There is an argument to be made in bringing Russia back to the table for talks, and bringing its citizens under the protection of the European Court of Human Rights. Whether such things outweigh turning a blind eye towards Crimea and other Russian aggression is probably going to come down to personal opinion.

I have the rather cynical view that talking to Russia won't accomplish much. They were a member of the Council of Europe when they annexed Crimea, and they still went ahead with it. Removing a punishment you instituted for blatant imperialism risks sending the message that blatant imperialism isn't really all that bad.

Also, as a note (I don't know if it can be changed) but the Council of Europe is separate from the EU - unlike the European Council and the Council of the European Union, which is not a confusing jumble of councils at all - so that EU tag should be removed from the thread title.

I'd agree on the opinion that they won't accomplish much, They had 5 years to address at least one issue from the list given by PACE, but they didn't. And IMHO they don't even show any intention to follow the rules...

Changed tag to [General], hope it's OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

kooper wrote: »
    I'd agree on the opinion that they won't accomplish much, They had 5 years to address at least one issue from the list given by PACE, but they didn't. And IMHO they don't even show any intention to follow the rules...

Yeah. Diplomacy hasn't really worked in curtailing Russian actions the past few years - they're probably emboldened by political developments in Europe and the US (Brexit and Trump and the like). I suppose if they were hit hard enough with economic sanctions then they might start listening, in which case having them on the Council might make sense. They haven't done anything egregious in the past year or so, but that doesn't mean they should get a pass for what they've done before that time period.

I imagine it's the same thought process that has Saudi Arabia on the UN Human Rights council. If you cut them out entirely, then there's no forum to engage with them on the topics you want them to address. Surely it's better to keep trying to talk to Russia within the Council, alongside whatever else Europe is doing, rather than cutting out any avenue of debate.

But like I said, the cynic in me doesn't think diplomacy without actions will do anything anyway.

Changed tag to [General], hope it's OK now.
    Sweet. I hope I didn't come across as nitpicky, I was just wary of posters getting confused since there are at least 3 Europe related bodies all called "Council". :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All's forgiven when there's a shilling in it. At the end of the day cash is king. Putin is a dictator and likely ordered a number of killings, but they have gas and oil. I think this is more about appeasing Putin than anything else.

All's forgiven when there's a shilling in it. At the end of the day cash is king. Putin is a dictator and likely ordered a number of killings, but they have gas and oil. I think this is more about appeasing Putin than anything else.

Will this really appease him? I bet Chamberlain in 1938, thought the same, turning a blind eye on German actions in Sudetenland. And we know what happened next :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

kooper wrote: »
    Will this really appease him? I bet Chamberlain in 1938, thought the same, turning a blind eye on German actions in Sudetenland. And we know what happened next :(.

It's an ego thing. Putin does what he likes he just wants respect from the west while he does it. He doesn't like being told off.

It's an ego thing. Putin does what he likes he just wants respect from the west while he does it. He doesn't like being told off.

Well, history shows well enough, how feeding dictators ego ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well as of right now Europe has a dilemma to solve. They have a giant secretive society on its border that it really doesn't want as an enemy but on the other hand doesn't want to give much control to.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Well as of right now Europe has a dilemma to solve. They have a giant secretive society on its border that it really doesn't want as an enemy but on the other hand doesn't want to give much control to.

So Europe trying to solve "War or Shame" dilemma once again. Hopefully this one will be handled better than the previous one...
    Russian delegation in PACE will not tolerate any new restrictions — official
    https://tass.com/world/1065385
    Does anyone think those guys are ready to talk?

Advertisement