Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible injured bird

Options
  • 26-06-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place to post this. Found this little guy in my front garden this evening. Not sure if they fell from a nest on the neighbors house or not.

Little guy can't fly and seems to be holding one wing down low. Just wondering big anyone has any advice? Can't leave him where I found him as there are cats all over the neighborhood.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Caegan wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place to post this. Found this little guy in my front garden this evening. Not sure if they fell from a nest on the neighbors house or not.

Little guy can't fly and seems to be holding one wing down low. Just wondering big anyone has any advice? Can't leave him where I found him as there are cats all over the neighborhood.

Thanks

Found similar few weeks back in the Phoenix Park. Headed for a pond he was gonna it to drown so I took him home.

He died overnight. I’m still gutted.

My advice would be to leave him alone. Leave some feed of some kind and water. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've moved him to the back garden, got a little bowl of water and some food with him. As you said will leave him be and see how he does.

Thanks again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

In just like you I haven’t a clue. Hopefully someone else can help more. I tried to build a little box to keep random neighbors cats away from him. Went all out.
    He can’t fly now he might be able to tomorrow is what I got shouted at me on fb when I asked about it.

Hope he’ll be ok and fair play you trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Sometimes when young birds fall out of the nest the parents will continue to feed them on the ground which is one reason why it can be better to leave them. On the other hand of course they'd be defenceless against any passing cat. Is there any bird rescue /animal welfare place nearby that you can ring in the morning for professional advice?

I've a vet up the road, I'll call you hem first thing after checking in him in the morning. Hopefully he makes it through the night.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What part of the country are you in op?
    It looks like a young house marten or swallow. Would need insects or meat protein, rather than seeds or other bird food.
    There may be a registered wildlife rehabilitator near you who can help, if you let us know roughly where you are.

I'm in Meath, it's a swallow from looking further at him and doing a little research.

I broke up some cat food for him to eat so hopefully that does the trick.

Will a vet not be able to help if I bring him over tomorrow morning?

Caegan wrote: »

Will a vet not be able to help if I bring him over tomorrow morning?

Depends on the vet really. If you're anywhere near Slane, vet Frances Harvey is a good soul when it comes to helping wild animals.
    In the meantime, have a look at this site... Pet food not appropriate for swallows, but it gives advice on what to try if you scroll down...
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/birds.html

Also, a list of wildlife rehabilitators and wildlife friendly vets in each county...
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/contacts.html

Thanks for all the information there. I replaced the cat food with a little raw meat.

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and research the links too

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

How did the little bird get on OP?

• Advertisement

Sorry I ment to update.

I took the little guy to my local vet to get him checked over. Had a broken wing.

Vet put me in touch with a wildlife rehabilitation group close to me and I dropped him off today. Happy to see him somewhere safe.

Thanks for the replies and the information given to me here. Appreciate it a lot.

Good stuff Caegan, you're very good to mind the little thing :)

Thanks, my kids were beside themselves when we dropped him off. Hard for them to grasp the little guy was safer with people that know how to care for him properly than with us.

They're already blooming for him in the sky 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Well done for minding him. If a bird is on the ground and isn’t hopping away from you it is usually sick or injured and needs help. He could very well make a full recovery with a wildlife rescue. Well done

Advertisement