Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)

Negroni Week

• 26-06-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭ dudara

Negroni Week runs from June 24th to 31st. It started out as a mainly American event, but it’s gradually pushing over here. The main idea is that bars sell Negronis and give donations to a charitable cause.

Personally, I love a Negroni. It’s easy to make and is a tasty drink. I made one recently with the new Blackwater Distillery Tanora gin and it was delicious.

So far in Dublin, I’ve seen the following offers:

MVP - Negroni selection available with €1 from each drink going to Dogs Trust

Hucks - Negroni for €10, with €2 going to Down Syndrome Ireland.

Do you know any others that deserve a share?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Twee.

I love a Negroni too! House are doing them for €10 with €2 to Down Syndrome Ireland. I think I'll be in there tonight so will have to sample!

Carluccios and Bonobo are also taking part, but I don't know anything about their offers or charities, though I thought I saw somewhere DSI was the selected charity for Ireland. MVP going their own way maybe.

Not part of the promo, but The Yarn pizza do a cracking Negroni.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ sbsquarepants

Pardon my ignorance - but what is a negroni, I have never heard of one before?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭ irish_goat

It's a cocktail with gin, vermouth and Campari. If you don't drink in hipster bars you'll probably have missed the resurgence it's had in those places.

Any bog standard bar that makes cocktails should be able to make you a Negroni.

In general, I have seen a return to more old-school, alcohol-laden, bitter profile drinks on menus, Negroni and Aperol Spritz being some of the more popular standards. Sours and very fruity drinks seem to be less popular. Vermouth is really having a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,228 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06

I quite like a Martini Rosso with Club Orange and lime. Has a bite to it.

LIDL do a 1 litre Italian dry vermouth for under a tenner, and think they have a Campari alternative on special at the mo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭ dudara

Equal measures of gin, Campari and vermouth stirred with ice and strained into a glass. Very easy to make at home and a proper drink!

Carluccios have 2 aperol spritzs for €12 and limited edition Negroni variants (dunno price):
    https://www.carluccios.com/negroniweek/

* Negroni Al Limone - Campari, Cinzano 1757 Red Vermouth, Malfy Gin
    * Strawberry Negroni - Campari, Cinzano 1757 Red Vermouth, Strawberry Infused Pampero White Rum, Strawberry puree
    * Negroni Sbagliato - Campari, Cinzano 1757 Red Vermouth, Prosecco

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 63,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

Bought a bottle of Martini Rosso on the way home and have now remembered, part way down the glass, that I don't hugely like Negronis. Will have to think of something else to do with the rest of it now! My sister does like them so I may need to drag her over before the bottle is open too long.

You could have the Martini Rosso on the rocks with a splash of orange juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭ the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    You could have the Martini Rosso on the rocks with a splash of orange juice.

Or gin and vermouth.

I can't develop a taste for campari or negronis.
    Too bitter.I like a bit of bitter but I think sour is more where my taste lies.

Download Brave browser, it gets rid of the ads. #saveboards

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Bought a bottle of Martini Rosso on the way home and have now remembered, part way down the glass, that I don't hugely like Negronis. Will have to think of something else to do with the rest of it now! My sister does like them so I may need to drag her over before the bottle is open too long.

You could try a Martinez https://www.liquor.com/recipes/martinez/#gs.lzigva
    45 ml Gin
    45 ml Sweet vermouth
    7.5 ml Maraschino liqueur
    2 dashes Angostura bitters

I had the Negroni in House. They have them pre-made in little bottles and you pour over a giant ice cube. Looked cool but thought it tasted a bit weak.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 63,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

I make something that's effectively a Martinez with bianco/non-dry-white vermouth already so may give that a go when I get home. Think the maraschino bottle is getting a bit low and its not the cheapest to replace though!

I've seen vodka substituted for gin in a lot of these recipes, if you don't have gin \ aren't a fan of botanicals.

Or gin and vermouth.

I can't develop a taste for campari or negronis.
    Too bitter.I like a bit of bitter but I think sour is more where my taste lies.

You could swap Campari for Aperol in a Negroni perhaps. You’d still get the orange flavour but sweeter

I love Negronis, martinis and most vermouth cocktails but dammit I can't get a taste for Aperol!

Advertisement