Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound

Options
  • 26-06-2019 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Are the greyhounds with the broader heads mongrels or is there a particular breed?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Are you thinking of greyhounds, or lurchers?
    Coursing greyhounds are small dogs. Racing greyhounds tend to be bigger. Show greyhounds are huge. These are all purebred dogs, and their pedigree is confirmed, in Ireland at least, by an ear tattoo.
    There are many, many lurchers in Ireland, which are a cross between a sighthound (most often a greyhound, but also whippet, or saluki), and a working breed, like a collie, a larger terrier breed (such as a Wheaten Terrier), or very commonly these days, a bull breed. The latter brings width to the head, and greater strength and size for killing foxes. In fact, it seems to me that a 3-way mix is quite common, such as sighthound x bull breed x herding or terrier breed, I assume in an attempt to get the best of each to create the ultimate hunting dog.
    So, I wonder is this what you're asking about, and that the dog you have in mind is a lurcher with some dollop of bull breed in its lineage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

DBB wrote: »
    Are you thinking of greyhounds, or lurchers?
    Coursing greyhounds are small dogs. Racing greyhounds tend to be bigger. Show greyhounds are huge. These are all purebred dogs, and their pedigree is confirmed, in Ireland at least, by an ear tattoo.
    There are many, many lurchers in Ireland, which are a cross between a sighthound (most often a greyhound, but also whippet, or saluki), and a working breed, like a collie, a larger terrier breed (such as a Wheaten Terrier), or very commonly these days, a bull breed. The latter brings width to the head, and greater strength and size for killing foxes. In fact, it seems to me that a 3-way mix is quite common, such as sighthound x bull breed x herding or terrier breed, I assume in an attempt to get the best of each to create the ultimate hunting dog.
    So, I wonder is this what you're asking about, and that the dog you have in mind is a lurcher with some dollop of bull breed in its lineage?

I'm not sure to be honest, they may be lurchers, just not with the narrow heads. I prefer mongrels to pure-breeds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Are you thinking of lurcher which is basically a sighthhound cross. Bull breeds are commonly crossed with sight hounds.
    They can have broader heads and stocky bodies but can be similar colour, usually not as tall as purebred greyhound. Some of the crosses can be slim and tall. There is quite a variety. They make lovely pets.
    If you post a picture of one similar we can help more 😊 google lurcher cross

Advertisement