Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to get a dual action, advice please!

• 26-06-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭

So after years of being a weekend warrior I'm ready to get a dual action and take it to the next level. I've watched loads of video, have a shed full of product for prep (Tardis, Clay, edgeless microfibers, etc) but would appreciate some machine advice.

Car is a 2016 Skoda Superb, I believe like most VAG the paint is HARD.

DA: Thinking of the Das6 Pro, I don't need a top of the line machine (yet), are there any others in this price range to consider?

Backing plate: Would like a 5-6inch interchangeable with a 3inch, the Das6 can do this I believe.

Long cord: Once again, Das6 is a good length

Pads: Was going to go with Hex logic but open to other suggestions
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/161783839629?var=460757355747

Polishes: Car paint is in good shape so was thinking Manzerna Medium Polish 2500, Super Finish plus 3800, and their One Step.

Coating: Will probably add a ceramic after doing all the above, any suggestions here?

And finally Aany suggestions on a good, cheap IPA for wiping down?

Thanks people!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Modern VAG paint is more a medium hardness these days, it'd be very rare for a car to have hard paint recently in my experience.

I'm actually selling my DAS-6 Pro Plus if it's any interest to you, have a 5" and 6" backing plate with it.

If it's mainly swirls you are looking at removing I would recommend Menzerna 2200 on a medium to heavy cutting pad followed by 35/3800 on a finishing pad.

For wipe down, I find IPA absolutely useless for giving you the true condition of the paint and would always recommend Gtechniq's Panel Wipe. It is a super strong solvent based wipe down that properly removes polish oils and residues compared to IPA which tends to just move it around!

Ceramic wise, I'd always recommend Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light followed by EXO or C2V3, both CSL and EXO are extremely user friendly. I have only small experience with Car Pro's CQuartz but but know it's also very very good. They'd be my two go to's.

I wouldn't buy from eBay either, you never know what quality you're getting, I'd always recommend a proper detailing supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Cheers Foxhole, great advice. Interesting re the IPA. Reviews of Chinese pads seem mixed alright, and given I'll only be doing a few cars each year no reason to skimp on decent pads.

I looked at your Das6 Pro plus but as it cannot take a 3" plate I kind of ruled it out.

Do you have any recommendations for local suppliers that can compete with UK prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you need to use a 3" pad, I would strongly recommend the ShineMate mini D/A. It's an absolute weapon of a machine and very nice to use.

I currently have a DAS6 Pro+, Vertool Forced Drive and the ShineMate. Out of the 3, the ShineMate is my favourite to use and the best part is there's no swapping pads and backing plates, just swap machines na dget the job done faster.

Try to buy your machine(s) from the likes of D&D. They will give you a great service and if anything goes wrong with it (which is very unlikely) it won't be a hassle to get things sorted out.

Can't really justify two machines hence looking for one with interchangeable plates. Will check out D&D, thanks.

Thanks agai people, ordered the items below and have been tacking the family fleet with great results.

Das 6 Pro 900W Dual Action Machine Polisher

Scholl Concepts S20 Black 1 Step Compund

16" x 16" Super Plush 470gsm Orange Microfibre Edgeless Korean Car Detailing Cloth

Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad

Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad

Scholl Concepts Orange Foam Polishing Pad (Finishing)

Scholl Concepts Purple Foam Polishing Pad (Medium-Heavy Cutting)

SP80 Detailing Masking Tape (24mm)

Gtechniq T1 Tyre and Trim

Rupes Yellow Fine Polishing Foam Pad

Rupes Yellow Fine Polishing Foam Pad

AM Bubbles - Luxury Car Shampoo - 500ml

16" x 16" Super Plush 470gsm Orange Microfibre Edgeless Korean Car Detailing Cloth

• Advertisement

Welcome to the world of sore muscles and back in the pursuit of shiny cars :D

Welcome to the world of sore muscles and back in the pursuit of shiny cars :D

Feeling the pain already! Been working on the wifes car, N/S and bumpers left to do.

Scholl S20 - Orange pad - G-Techinc IPA - Wax

Most satisfying was removing the swirls on the gloss B pillar trim and tail lamps, the look new again. (Manzerna 3800 and Maguires Perfect Compound with the 3" black waffle)

lamb-before.jpg

lamp.jpg

pilar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Give it a while and your definition of "clean" will adjust. I know mine has!

Lovely job on the B pillar gloss black. Keep in mind this scratches VERY easily and is a nightmare to keep looking well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Feeling the pain already! Been working on the wifes car, N/S and bumpers left to do.

Scholl S20 - Orange pad - G-Techinc IPA - Wax

Most satisfying was removing the swirls on the gloss B pillar trim and tail lamps, the look new again. (Manzerna 3800 and Maguires Perfect Compound with the 3" black waffle)

Nice work,can I ask did you have any experience using a DA polisher before?? how do you find the DAS 6?

Want to remove a few swirl marks from the paint myself,and was gonna buy this particular model too,bit nervous though in case I make a mess of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

celticsfan wrote: »
    Nice work,can I ask did you have any experience using a DA polisher before?? how do you find the DAS 6?

Want to remove a few swirl marks from the paint myself,and was gonna buy this particular model too,bit nervous though in case I make a mess of it :rolleyes:

I had no experience at all, but did plenty of research on technique, pads and so on. Made sure to start with finishing pads and gentle enough compound and checked results along the way. It is very straightforward, slow and steady is key. The Das6 works a treat, just make sure to get a 3" backing plate as well as the 5".

Just finished the wife's car and the paint has never looked so good. Go for it!

Advertisement