Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re leaving Civil Service

Options
  • 26-06-2019 8:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

Hi all,

I am currently employed as a CO in the civil service. I have an interview coming up for a position in the Public service.

It's more money and more holidays and if I can get placed in my area it's a no brainer.

BUT I have an overpayment that I am paying back until December and also I am in a college course through work.

I have just completed the 1st year and one of the conditions on it is that you must stay with the Department for a year.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would I have to pay everything back in one go if I hand in my notice?

I really hate where I am working right now and if I got this other job I would love to take it but I couldn't actually afford to pay back the overpayment and college fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WengerOutIn

If you are getting a post elsewhere in the civil service, is there anyway you could continue to pay for the course via salary deductions? That is if you intend to continue with the course itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AP2019

I would go for the new position and if successful, check with your local HR regarding repayment of the overpayment and course fees. You can make a decision at that stage.

I would be surprised if your local HR didn't facilitate a repayment schedule that would suit you once you started your new position.

Hi all,

I am currently employed as a CO in the civil service. I have an interview coming up for a position in the Public service.

It's more money and more holidays and if I can get placed in my area it's a no brainer.

BUT I have an overpayment that I am paying back until December and also I am in a college course through work.

I have just completed the 1st year and one of the conditions on it is that you must stay with the Department for a year.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Would I have to pay everything back in one go if I hand in my notice?

I really hate where I am working right now and if I got this other job I would love to take it but I couldn't actually afford to pay back the overpayment and college fees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Not so civil servant

If you are getting a post elsewhere in the civil service, is there anyway you could continue to pay for the course via salary deductions? That is if you intend to continue with the course itself?

I would have to leave the course as I would no longer be employed with the civil service.

That's another thing im hesitant about too

You really need to weigh up the pros and cons. Civil Service gives security and generally a more generously paced work space. However, saying that, CO posts do no pay well and you would want to be moving up EO/HEO/AO or whatever you can get your hands on.
    If you are leaving for private then the pay would need to be decent, work environment would need to be good.
    do you have flexi in the current role? That is an extra 19 days a year you could potentially lose out on.
    Also, how long have you been in the CS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

You really need to weigh up the pros and cons. Civil Service gives security and generally a more generously paced work space. However, saying that, CO posts do no pay well and you would want to be moving up EO/HEO/AO or whatever you can get your hands on.
    If you are leaving for private then the pay would need to be decent, work environment would need to be good.
    do you have flexi in the current role? That is an extra 19 days a year you could potentially lose out on.
    Also, how long have you been in the CS?

It's a position in the public service (like HSE for example) - still CO level but more money and more annual leave than the civil service offer. All the same perks otherwise.

Im in the civil service just over 4 years now - I don't love it but I don't think id go back to the private sector!

I'm just wondering if anyone knew how overpayments/college fees would have to be paid back. I don't want to ask HR just yet.

• Advertisement

I reckon you are going to have to ask them and come to some arrangement. You do not want to be hit with a big bill.
    Do you plan to finish the course?

i cant see you being forced to leave a course on the back of it

repayment schedule could pretty simply be sorted upon handover id imagine

but you wont find out in a vacuum. find a friendly hr civil service professional to chat to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

i cant see you being forced to leave a course on the back of it

repayment schedule could pretty simply be sorted upon handover id imagine

but you wont find out in a vacuum. find a friendly hr civil service professional to chat to

I wouldn't be forced out of the course but I wouldn't be able to continue if I leave current job as I cant afford the fees myself.

Advertisement