Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAK_MTL (2019) ~~ Does privacy still exist in 2019?

• 25-06-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭

HAK_MTL (2019)
    Does privacy still exist in 2019? In less than a generation, the internet has become a mass surveillance machine based on one simple mindset: If it's free, you're the product. Our information is captured, stored and made accessible to corporations and governments across the world. To the hacker community, Big Brother is real and only a technological battle can defeat him.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

corkie wrote: »

I'd say privacy does still exist. But only because ways of invading privacy through data harvesting is in its infancy. Its a very young tech.

Had an aquaintence tell me of his storing all his docs/video/photos on Google Cloud. Pleased as punch with the convenience and security.

"You say security and maybe it won't crash like a HDD (so get an SSD). But lets say AI is rummaging through all your files. What would you think about your security then?"

The fact he only partially got it means, I think, folk don't actually appreciate their privacy to care about it. Which will lead to further loss of privacy. He might pull the curtains when undressing at night .. seems to be about as far as privacy goes for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,704 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'd say privacy does still exist. But only because ways of invading privacy through data harvesting is in its infancy. Its a very young tech.

Had an aquaintence tell me of his storing all his docs/video/photos on Google Cloud. Pleased as punch with the convenience and security.

"You say security and maybe it won't crash like a HDD (so get an SSD). But lets say AI is rummaging through all your files. What would you think about your security then?"

The fact he only partially got it means, I think, folk don't actually appreciate their privacy to care about it. Which will lead to further loss of privacy. He might pull the curtains when undressing at night .. seems to be about as far as privacy goes for him.

Who exactly is rummaging through it, for what reason and what are the repercussions?

Advertisement