Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raspberry Pi

Options
  • 25-06-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Wheres the best place to buy a Raspberry Pi online
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

cobzzq wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to buy a Raspberry Pi online

I got my Pi 3 from https://thepihut.com
    Fast shipping, good price, no probs.
    The Pi 4 is out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭cobzzq

Hi Chicken George what i'm interested in is the Pi 4 kit bundle. Pi-huts kit bundle offer is soldout. The Pi 3 seems to offer more than the Pi 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

cobzzq wrote: »
    Hi Chicken George what i'm interested in is the Pi 4 kit bundle. Pi-huts kit bundle offer is soldout. The Pi 3 seems to offer more than the Pi 4.

I only used mine for gaming with retroarch installed. I don't use it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Pi 4 is a big improvement on the Pi 3 ...... with one exception.
    Hardware decoding of additional codecs on the Pi 3 and earlier models can be enabled by purchasing a licence that is locked to the CPU serial number of your Raspberry Pi.

On the Raspberry Pi 4, the hardware codecs for MPEG2 or VC1 are permanently disabled and cannot be enabled even with a licence key; on the Pi 4, thanks to its increased processing power compared to earlier models, MPEG2 and VC1 can be decoded in software via applications such as VLC. Therefore, a hardware codec licence key is not needed if you're using a Pi 4.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/codeclicence.md

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is there a good laptop case available for a pi 4 yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Can anyone recommend a good Raspberry PI Starter kit for an 11 year old? It's for my nephew who's never used one.

Or, would an Arduino kit be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

chewed wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good Raspberry PI Starter kit for an 11 year old? It's for my nephew who's never used one.

Or, would an Arduino kit be better?

If your nephew is interested in learning coding, it's better to go the Raspberry Pi route, and learn Python.

While I love Arduino, and it's easy and slightly cheaper to build stuff, the coding is specific to this platform, whereas Python language would be a much better option for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

JoyPad wrote: »
      If your nephew is interested in learning coding, it's better to go the Raspberry Pi route, and learn Python.

While I love Arduino, and it's easy and slightly cheaper to build stuff, the coding is specific to this platform, whereas Python language would be a much better option for the future.

Thanks.

Advertisement