Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance department of a hotel

Options
  • 25-06-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have been waitressing in the restaurant of a hotel, part-time, for two years. It’s a five star hotel resort and spa here in Ireland. It was brought to my attention, that the finance department sometimes dip into our credit card tips to balance the till, if a guest leaves without paying, or if a guest accidentally assigned the wrong room number to their bill, which actually happens quite often.
    Obviously, this is hugely unethical, and in light of recent legislation that has been passed, I think it’s now illegal.
    Management has changed a lot in the time that I have worked there (hospitality is a very transient industry). Even though I am aware of this issue I have never brought it up with anyone. I intend to bide my time and keep quiet, and then when I decide to leave the job, I will approach the HR department to address the issue, the idea being that it makes no difference at the point whether I create a fuss or not, as I will be leaving anyway.
    The reason I wouldn’t do it before then, is that I need to keep them on my side for various reasons.
    We get our credit card tips once a month in our weekly paycheque, and it is very hard to keep track of exactly what you have earned, because the tips are ‘pooled’ amongst all the stuff.

My question is this, am I legally entitled to view the finance departments records if I ask to do so? Also, will the finance department definitely have everything recorded, going back two years?

Please, no judgement on my decision not to speak up about this for so long. Rest assured, I will not let this slide, and if I feel that I don’t get an honest or satisfactory response when I do bring it up, I will calmly tell them that I will name and shame the hotel on every public platform available to me, and, most damning of all, that I will call Joe Duffy! 😉

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And the of your post was?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fite Fuaite

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And the of your post was?

I presume you meant, “and the point of your post was?” Sorry, it was my first time posting and I think I put it in the wrong forum/category.
    I’ll get it taken down.
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I was just looking for some advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Advice on what? You asked for no judgments and did not ask any questions...

Advertisement