Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referred for psychiatric assessment - What to expect?

Options
  • 25-06-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey, I recently went to my gp to open up about the mental health issues i’ve been dealing with for a good few years now, and she referred me on to an outpatient clinic nearby for an assessment. So on Thursday I have that appointment, my letter says I’m meeting with the consultant psychiatrists team.

So really I was just wondering what to expect, if anyone else has had the same thing and could tell me how there’s went down and also - Would I be able to bring in my boyfriend? I remember reading before online that it can help to bring someone close up these things as a comfort and help, and considering i’ve a bad memory and am bad at time-lining events it could be beneficial? Obviously i’ll be fine alone too but was wondering if I could ask to bring him in or? will they think that’s a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There's no problem bringing someone with you for a bit of support or company while you wait. There's probably no need for him to go into the appointment with you but if you'd prefer he did, just ask.

I haven't had such as assessment but you'll probably find it's not much different than an appointment with your gp. Arrive early as there could be some paperwork, and you should bring your health insurance if you're a private patient. You'll meet with the consultant and he'll ask a few questions, probably from a questionnaire, to see how best to treat your condition. Then he'll discuss a treatment plan with you.

In advance of the meeting, it's no harm to have a wee think about what's troubling you, how it's affecting your life, and whether you would be willing to take medication if its prescribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 goregrrrl

Thank you!
    Yeah, I think maybe I will bring him in while I wait and then depending how I feel on that day decide whether I’m feeling okay enough alone or alternatively, brave enough to ask if he can come into the appointment lol.I was just wondering this based on the fact I’ve seen things before about how it can be beneficial, but presumably not all psychiatrists might feel it is.

Yeah, my gp did just say it will be the same thing just longer. Definitely will arrive early yeah, It’s public so won’t be bringing any insurance. But thank you for all this, even though I sort of know what to expect it’s nice to be reassured.

Gonna do a bit of a practice run at it tomorrow with my boyfriend to prepare and to make sure I bring up what’s most important.
    antix80 wrote: »
    There's no problem bringing someone with you for a bit of support or company while you wait. There's probably no need for him to go into the appointment with you but if you'd prefer he did, just ask.

I haven't had such as assessment but you'll probably find it's not much different than an appointment with your gp. Arrive early as there could be some paperwork, and you should bring your health insurance if you're a private patient. You'll meet with the consultant and he'll ask a few questions, probably from a questionnaire, to see how best to treat your condition. Then he'll discuss a treatment plan with you.

In advance of the meeting, it's no harm to have a wee think about what's troubling you, how it's affecting your life, and whether you would be willing to take medication if its prescribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

goregrrrl wrote: »
    Gonna do a bit of a practice run at it tomorrow with my boyfriend to prepare and to make sure I bring up what’s most important.

Write down bullet points of the important things you want to raise and bring that with you.

It can be easy to completely forget what you intended to raise with a medical person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think you will find it very positive and helpful.

Advertisement