Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Best long term investment

• 23-06-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭ Dual wheels

If you had 10k and you were looking for the best investment over the long term 15/20 years, what’s the best vehicle to put the 10k into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ Shai

depends on your risk profile. Personally I'd go for an S&P500 ETF with super low AMC, or something like VTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Californeeway

I've been looking into the same thing and 'low cost' ETFs based on Index Funds seem to be the way to go. e.g. Vanguard/iShares/SPDR S&P500 ETFs on a website like DeGiro.

The S&P500 (or SPX Index) price seems to have gone from 2000 to 3000 in 5 years.

Does anyone know if this simply means that if I had 10k in back then I'd now have 15k? (there's a lot of talk about compounding that I don't really understand..)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭ handlemaster

With ETF there is a large unknown with regards to what will happen in the future. There is an enormous amount of money flowing into this passive investment sector..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ixus

If you had 10k and you were looking for the best investment over the long term 15/20 years, what’s the best vehicle to put the 10k into?

Yourself. Education/qualification / knowledge / experience that takes you to another level.

Advertisement