Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tax back on eye surgery

Options
  • 21-06-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

hi, I am self employed since july 2016, im looking to get laser eye surgery but i visited the dentist last week and they told me i dont have enough prsi contributions to get any money off.

im wondering now could this be the case for my eye surgery, this would be about 750 euro back so i will only do the surgery if im entitled to the 20% tax back.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

pgj2015 wrote: »
    hi, I am self employed since july 2016, im looking to get laser eye surgery but i visited the dentist last week and they told me i dont have enough prsi contributions to get any money off.

im wondering now could this be the case for my eye surgery, this would be about 750 euro back so i will only do the surgery if im entitled to the 20% tax back.

The tax back on the surgery is something you send in a Med 1 form for at the end of the tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Daisies wrote: »
    The tax back on the surgery is something you send in a Med 1 form for at the end of the tax year.

do you think i will be entitled to 20% tax back or is it linked to prsi contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

No, tax refunds on medical procedures, etc isn't linked to your PRSI contributions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

pgj2015 wrote: »
    do you think i will be entitled to 20% tax back or is it linked to prsi contributions?

No it's not linked to PRSI contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lizze

I believe you can claim back on medical procedures carried out going back four years. Although can anyone tell me if I was to get the procedure done while unemployed still be able to claim back when employed in the future...as long as it's within the four year period??

• Advertisement
Advertisement