Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service - service officer uniforms

Options
  • 21-06-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi

Not long ago I got a job as service officer in civil service.
    After few months of work "top" is forcing 2 of us in the office only, to wear uniforms they will supply. This requirement is not part of my contract.
    They aren't offering any allowance for the moment. ( not sure about the future)

Is there any legislation or government policy for uniforms? I keep googling but get no results

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

ani_mal wrote: »
    Hi

Not long ago I got a job as service officer in civil service.
    After few months of work "top" is forcing 2 of us in the office only, to wear uniforms they will supply. This requirement is not part of my contract.
    They aren't offering any allowance for the moment. ( not sure about the future)

Is there any legislation or government policy for uniforms? I keep googling but get no results

Thanks

Each government department sets its own dress code, it may vary depending on your role and the requirement to abide by that would be in your contract.

Usually, smart causal is the standard but some grades / public facing roles do require uniform or business suits so its not clean cut.

Revenue is the good example: most staff (CO/EO grades) are allowed to dress smart causal but custom officers (CO) wear uniforms and trainee auditors (EO) wear business suits - they don't get any allowances for the uniform or suit, although they may do for other aspect of their roles.

As long as they apply the requirement to all SO's in your team/building, Unfortunately its unlikely you will find a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why would you get an allowance if they're supplying the uniform???

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Etray reviewer

Dial Hard wrote: »

To maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Dial Hard wrote: »

Because that's the public sector mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

To maintain it.

That's why you get a salary. So that you can do stuff like wash and iron clothes, just like you would regular clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are getting free clothing, instead of having to supply your own.

Struggling to see a problem here.

If it's not your colour ... look for a job in somewhere with a brand that's more to your liking!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

To maintain it.

You want a0n allowance to wash your uniform? Have I read that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Some private sector jobs give an allowance for washing and maintaining your uniform/suit, however I think this has gotten off topic...

The OP stated "They aren't offering any allowance"... I interpreted that as being a fact, not an expectation on the part of the OP.

The key issue I picked up on was whether or not their employer can insist on them wearing a uniform even though it was not previously a requirement of the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks like there is a footwear allowance for service officers from this link:
    https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/general-council/finance/2002/1407.pdf

that mentions a union called F.U.G.E. which looks like it represented the staff in the discussions

Looks like they became part of IMPACT who are now part of Fórsa:
    https://www.forsa.ie/about-forsa/who-we-are/

So OP, it looks like having a chat with someone from Fórsa should get you an answer. There's probably a representative of Fórsa where you work if you ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

thank to everyone for their input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement