Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

filter coffee to a 1l thermos jug

Options
  • 21-06-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi. I would like to get away from instant coffee and use a filter system similar to what some friends on the continent use. Sorry I'm not a coffee expert so please bear with me and I'll explain the method as best I can and maybe you guys can advise on exactly the best equipment and coffee I need.

So what they use is a 1 litre thermos jug, so as the coffee stays hot for a good few hours. They insert a plastic device into the top of the thermos jug that looks like a cone, then a paper filter and then some coffee. Then they pour the water over the coffee in a kind of circular motion, let it go down and then some more.

I guess any insulated thermos jug would do the trick, but I would probably need a specific cone, filter and coffee grade for this type of method?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Something like this?

61VOUOd5YDL._SX425_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,000 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You could just make coffee in the normal way (cafetiere, stovetop espresso,etc), and decant it into a thermos?

I've also got a stainless steel insulated cafetiere, which keeps coffee hot for a while - it's not completely sealed like a thermos, so you won't have piping hot coffee on tap all day long, but you can make a fresh cup or two very handily and it'll keep hot for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

What you describe is just manual filter coffee as opposed to using a drip filter machine. Very common in Finland as you can keep the coffee warm this way and it will taste better then coffee from the normal coffee pot kept on the warming plate of the machine.

You can buy the filter- plastic, ceramic, stainless steel or copper quite cheaply. Try kitchen whisk if you're in Dublin.

It won't be as good as French press though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

seasidedub wrote: »
    What you describe is just manual filter coffee as opposed to using a drip filter machine. Very common in Finland as you can keep the coffee warm this way and it will taste better then coffee from the normal coffee pot kept on the warming plate of the machine.

You can buy the filter- plastic, ceramic, stainless steel or copper quite cheaply. Try kitchen whisk if you're in Dublin.

It won't be as good as French press though

This is exactly what I am talking about. I was in Denmark, seems very common there.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You could just make coffee in the normal way (cafetiere, stovetop espresso,etc), and decant it into a thermos?

I've also got a stainless steel insulated cafetiere, which keeps coffee hot for a while - it's not completely sealed like a thermos, so you won't have piping hot coffee on tap all day long, but you can make a fresh cup or two very handily and it'll keep hot for a while.

Yes. It was like a jug thermos, along the lines of this.

https://alfi.de/en/alfi-vacuum-carafe-gusto.html

I'm sure they can be got cheaper in different brands and I would only need it to stay warm for a few hours, even a couple.

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    Something like this?

61VOUOd5YDL._SX425_.jpg

Yeah I think that is probably what I am after. I guess I need one with a bottom that will fit in the opening of the thermos jug though. I have looked a little online and see there are lots of different ones, but I don't have much of an idea about making coffee to know which one I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Moccamaster.......complete with flask etc etc

https://www.moccamaster.eu/webshop/brewers_with_eu_plug/coffee_at_work/

.....actually have been mulling over one for years now. Brew up a load in the morning(weekends) and/or....bring a flask to work.
    No faff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Get a large chemex, a zojirushi flask, a hand grinder and freshly roasted coffee.

• Advertisement

donnacha wrote: »
    Get a large chemex, a zojirushi flask, a hand grinder and freshly roasted coffee.

Cheers. The method they use in Scandinavian is a thermos jug, a filter cone, filter and ground coffee. Nothing fancy. Seems simple, but the the result is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

in Dun Laoghaire, in J.J. Darboven - they have one of these beautiful drip filter thermos setups...
    https://www.darboven-kaffee.de/elvira-handfilter-system-mit-isolierkanne-und-dauerfilter.html

BTW - they're doing some nice inhouse roasted coffee beans out there now too, under their own new brand called "Eighty9" - and it's very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

gooner99 wrote: »
    Cheers. The method they use in Scandinavian is a thermos jug, a filter cone, filter and ground coffee. Nothing fancy. Seems simple, but the the result is very good.

Typically thermos jugs have a glass inside which have a habit of breaking. The zojirushi flask is manufactured as a single piece, no glass and is easy to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP I have a Hario V60 dripper here if you want it for free. I got it with a coffee offer from Rave but have never used it and probably never will as Im happy with my machine and Aeropress set up. Its still in its box with 100 filters included. PM me if its of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

@gooner99 I tried to reply to your PM there but your inbox is full, clear some messages and PM me again

Muahahaha wrote: »
    @gooner99 I tried to reply to your PM there but your inbox is full, clear some messages and PM me again

Sorry. Inbox was full. Resent it again. Thanks.

Advertisement