Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain running - mix wrong?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 10:33am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I noticed the chain running a few times on the saw here when I haven’t had the throttle engaged.

Say I leave it down out of my hand for a minute and the chair keeps going.

Assuming I’m getting the petrol:oil mix wrong lately, am I putting too much or too little oil in the mix?

It’s a Husqvarna 450

Thanks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Assuming that the chain isn't loose, the fix is to turn the idle adjustment screw to reduce engine idle speed to a level that the chain stops moving and the engine doesn't cut out.

The idle adjuster screw rests against the plate on the throttle spindle. It's separate from the carburetor tuning screws (leave them as they are).

Engine speed is linked to fuel air mix ratio in the carburetor rather than the petrol-oil mix ratio of the fuel. Just use the mix ratio recommended in the handbook

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Assuming that the chain isn't loose, the fix is to turn the idle adjustment screw to reduce engine idle speed to a level that the chain stops moving and the engine doesn't cut out.

The idle adjuster screw rests against the plate on the throttle spindle. It's separate from the carburetor tuning screws (leave them as they are).

Engine speed is linked to fuel air mix ratio in the carburetor rather than the petrol-oil mix ratio of the fuel. Just use the mix ratio recommended in the handbook

Thanks for that - I’ll have a look in the morning and see if I can figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi all,

I noticed the chain running a few times on the saw here when I haven’t had the throttle engaged.

Say I leave it down out of my hand for a minute and the chair keeps going.

Assuming I’m getting the petrol:oil mix wrong lately, am I putting too much or too little oil in the mix?

It’s a Husqvarna 450

Thanks

Hi Siamsa,
    It could also be weak springs in the clutch, if by reducing engine idle speed and correctly tightening the chain the problem is not resolved then off to the dealer for new clutch springs and you'll be sorted.

tim

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Hi Siamsa,
    It could also be weak springs in the clutch, if by reducing engine idle speed and correctly tightening the chain the problem is not resolved then off to the dealer for new clutch springs and you'll be sorted.

tim

Thanks for that - I feel more confident trying to fix it now. Knowledge is power :-)

Advertisement