Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAI supporting Pride 2019

Options
  • 20-06-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I checked my account this morning and I saw that the CAI logo had changed to Support Pride 2019!?I don't subscribe to political memberships. Does anyone have a view on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Karachi wrote: »
    I checked my account this morning and I saw that the CAI logo had changed to Support Pride 2019!?I don't subscribe to political memberships. Does anyone have a view on this?

It's not a political membership, it is a statement of human rights and I full support it. Too bad you don't can see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Karachi

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It's not a political membership, it is a statement of human rights and I full support it. Too bad you don't can see the difference.

Hi Jim. Pride has on its website that it actively seeks to change Irish law and Irish constitution. Not political! Beg to differ.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi Jim. Pride has on its website that it actively seeks to change Irish law and Irish constitution. Not political! Beg to differ.

BS. Nobody is preventing you from living your life the way you want. Show a bit of respect for others. If your homophonic or whatever get over it.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    BS. Nobody is preventing you from living your life the way you want. Show a bit of respect for others. If your homophonic or whatever get over it.

Jim, this is a discussion about whether CAI should publically support political organizations. Is it within their remit to do so etc.. Please do not turn it into a personal bashing for your own preferences. Professional decorum please

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

CAI represent their members, many of whom identify as LGBT+. Promoting Pride is a way to support their members.

I also know that many of the firms are organizing events this month, including supporting their staff marching in the Dublin pride parade. Supporting your friends and colleagues is not about politics, it’s equality.

• Advertisement

Humour Me wrote: »
    CAI represent their members, many of whom identify as LGBT+. Promoting Pride is a way to support their members.

I also know that many of the firms are organizing events this month, including supporting their staff marching in the Dublin pride parade. Supporting your friends and colleagues is not about politics, it’s equality.

A political organization is any organization that involves itself in the political process. Pride is a political organization as its aims are to change Irish legislation. Should CAI be prominently supporting any political group. That is the question. I personally think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Humour Me wrote: »

Thank you for your comment. There are strict rules governing charters and ethical considerations concerning the profession and the public interest. I don't think supporting, promulgating, re branding and realligning with any political organization serves either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jim, this is a discussion about whether CAI should publically support political organizations. Is it within their remit to do so etc.. Please do not turn it into a personal bashing for your own preferences. Professional decorum please

What's the name of prides political party?

Greenpeace, save the children, Rape crisis center etc would also seek to "change Irish law and Irish constitution" (for the betterment of others). would you have an issue if it was thier logo on the site?

What's the name of prides political party?

Greenpeace, save the children, Rape crisis center etc would also seek to "change Irish law and Irish constitution" (for the betterment of others). would you have an issue if it was thier logo on the site?

Thank you for your comment. I am not aware if Pride support any one political party as I am not a member. My point is that Pride have political motivations and are politically active. Should a professional body that serves professional accountants which serve the public interest be seen to actively engage (including rebranding of professional logo) with one political organisation's motives. I think any third party looking at it would say no.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your comment. I am not aware if Pride support any one political party as I am not a member. My point is that Pride have political motivations and are politically active.

So are the other groups i mentioned above, would you have an issue with pieta house, McMillan trust, or save the childrens logo being there or isnit just pride you have an issue with?
    Should a professional body that serves professional accountants which serve the public interest be seen to actively engage (including rebranding of professional logo) with one political organisation's motives. I think any third party looking at it would say no.

What political organisation? Pride is not one homogenous group, they don't run candidates in elections they don't ask for votes, they do lobby political for better rights for LGBT people but i don't see that as an issue.

So are the other groups i mentioned above, would you have an issue with pieta house, McMillan trust, or save the childrens logo being there or isnit just pride you have an issue with?

What political organisation? Pride is not one homogenous group, they don't run candidates in elections they don't ask for votes, they do lobby political for better rights for LGBT people but i don't see that as an issue.

Thank you for your comment. The issue here is with any political organization. Let us not confuse charitable organizations with political ones

Thank you for your comment. The issue here is with any political organization. Let us not confuse charitable organizations with political ones

Ok, you keep using this term, please provide evidence that pride is "political organisation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Didn’t take long for the OP to be accused of homophobia.

Didn’t take long for the OP to be accused of homophobia.

Where has this been said?

Ok, you keep using this term, please provide evidence that pride is "political organisation".

Pride is a political org as it engages in lobbying, community organizing, campaign advertising, demonstrations, marches, agitations all aimed for the benefit of its own members and goals.

Where has this been said?

4th post. Poster smart enough to not explicitly say it but intent was clear.

Pride is a political org as it engages in lobbying, community organizing, campaign advertising, demonstrations, marches, agitations all aimed for the benefit of its own members and goals.

As does the rape crisis center, would you have an issue with thier logo on the site? Do you think the rape crisis center is "a political organisation"?

4th post. Poster smart enough to not explicitly say it but intent was clear.

A question, not an accusation as you claimed.

As does the rape crisis center, would you have an issue with thier logo on the site? Do you think the rape crisis center is "a political organisation"?

Rape Crisis Center is a a registered charity.

• Advertisement

A question, not an accusation as you claimed.

As I said he phrased it that way intentionally

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You could argue that CAI is a political organisation given that they have lobbied government over tax legislation.
    Personally I have no problem with them supporting pride however the scramble for corporates to be associated with the events is a bit unsightly for me.

Rape Crisis Center is a a registered charity.

And pride is not one homogenous group it is an amalgamation of several groupings that you have decided to lump in as one and declare them to be a "political organisation".

OP, just ignore it, not a battle you can win. It has come up a few times at work this week, I have no interest, but I know that if I or anyone queried or even said anything neutral then it would be unofficially noted by the HR staff and no good would come of that.

OP, just ignore it, not a battle you can win. It has come up a few times at work this week, I have no interest, but I know that if I or anyone queried or even said anything neutral then it would be unofficially noted by the HR staff and no good would come of that.

You may be right Sonny. I can't believe some of the responses posted with such agitation and aggression. However, I will not be silenced. A professional body representing accountants and the public interest should not be affiliating itself with any political organization.

You may be right Sonny. I can't believe some of the responses posted with such agitation and aggression. However, I will not be silenced. A professional body representing accountants and the public interest should not be affiliating itself with any political organization.

Fair enough, just know what to expect. Good luck.

And again the use of the wrong terminology really doesn't help your "arguement ":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 biddyboo

Scrambling for cover when news of its illicit financial backing breaks....

Advertisement