Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Bottle Cage Screws

Options
  • 20-06-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭

Are they made with gold or the like?

Basically don't cycle enough so get cheapest stuff, other day broke plastic water bottle holder from homestore and then some effort to get screw out(cheap screw and head bore off slightly)

Looked and seen a metal cage in halfords for E5, sounds ok.
    Go in and see no screws, look online £2.50 for two so I said ill chance my arm and see if any going from workshop, no, told 3 something to buy them(over half the price of the cage)

Got the name (m5 x 20mm bolt) and called a DIY etc places and went in passing them and not a hope of getting them

Mad how the little things in cycle seem to work out the most awkward/expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Cable ties, no need for screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭jeffk

dahat wrote: »
    Cable ties, no need for screws.

Looking that way, just had screws and worked well with cage and pump holder stacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

You’re not looking in the right places.

I get all my bolts in a metal works shop for real cheap, possibly 10-20 cent for an M5 bolt

hesker wrote: »
    You’re not looking in the right places.

I get all my bolts in a metal works shop for real cheap, possibly 10-20 cent for an M5 bolt

Whats the name of the place?

I tried
    Goodwins
    The Fixing Company
    Commons Road Hardware
    Chadwicks
    Navan Hire, they suggested some place, but then postage be more than screws

RS Radionics have them in boxes of 50 and im in Blanch so no good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I don’t live in Dublin so you should google for metal works shops near you. Presuming you live in Dublin obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

jeffk wrote: »
    Are they made with gold or the like?

Basically don't cycle enough so get cheapest stuff, other day broke plastic water bottle holder from homestore and then some effort to get screw out(cheap screw and head bore off slightly)

Looked and seen a metal cage in halfords for E5, sounds ok.
    Go in and see no screws, look online £2.50 for two so I said ill chance my arm and see if any going from workshop, no, told 3 something to buy them(over half the price of the cage)

Got the name (m5 x 20mm bolt) and called a DIY etc places and went in passing them and not a hope of getting them

Mad how the little things in cycle seem to work out the most awkward/expensive

Seriously mate, 3 euro for them from the workshop and you walk away, how much did you spend on fuel driving around trying to find them.
    If you really wanted them you'd part with 3euro for them.
    I'm sure if you're that stuck we might find a few M5 bolts between us all and send them out to you.

sullzz wrote: »
    Seriously mate, 3 euro for them from the workshop and you walk away, how much did you spend on fuel driving around trying to find them.
    If you really wanted them you'd part with 3euro for them.
    I'm sure if you're that stuck we might find a few M5 bolts between us all and send them out to you.

No fuel as places I went I was getting other stuff or literally pasing it

I got a cage and screws for less than two euro in homestore, unfortunately none in now

Bit much selling an item that's basically useless without a hidden extra cost. Reminds me of ikea charging for lids for storage boxes

Cage and screws is x not cage is x, oh you want to attach it to the bike, that will be half that cost again

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whats the name of the place?

I tried
    Goodwins
    The Fixing Company
    Commons Road Hardware
    Chadwicks
    Navan Hire, they suggested some place, but then postage be more than screws

RS Radionics have them in boxes of 50 and im in Blanch so no good

Lenihans?

https://www.lenehans.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bit much selling an item that's basically useless without a hidden extra cost. Reminds me of ikea charging for lids for storage boxes

Cage and screws is x not cage is x, oh you want to attach it to the bike, that will be half that cost again

In my experience bikes come with the bolts fitted. I have never come across bolts sold along with a bottle cage before.

ED E wrote: »

I think from only only a screw looking thing

Shame never in town as I'd say that be a great chance of getting one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

It’s not a hidden extra cost. Bottle cage bolts come fitted with the frame and should not need to be replaced. I have never seen them sold with cages before.

Have you tried woodies?

In my experience bikes come with the bolts fitted. I have never come across bolts sold along with a bottle cage before.

Of course with my luck my bike didn't come with any.

Pity as id say wouldn't have lost their head as easy at the ones I did get

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I needed M3/M2 before and they didnt have it but had M4 and up, I think. Buried down the back somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

It’s not a hidden extra cost. Bottle cage bolts come fitted with the frame and should not need to be replaced. I have never seen them sold with cages before.

Have you tried woodies?

letape wrote: »

Have you tried woodies?

Then someone in the shop took them off mine before selling the bike

Oh yeah sorry I did, again more a screw than Alan key in box of 50

Idealy I had planned to cycle to a place, then could test out something like it

Bike in shop the day I bought it, remember asking whys there two holes in it

2uysh9j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No fuel as places I went I was getting other stuff or literally pasing it

I got a cage and screws for less than two euro in homestore, unfortunately none in now

Frames generally have screws on them. No need to supply them with cages

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

What you're looking for is an M5 button head screw (more correctly machine screw). Large chain stores will only sell bags or boxes of them.

If you go to a local hardware store, they are usually sold individually, and for only a few cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Have you tried any motor factors ? they'd have racks of nuts, bolts, washers etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just pop back to the bike shop and ask them for the bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Your LBS should give you them for free or a few cent. M5 stuff is all over bikes - mudguard/rack stays, bottle cages, etc...

Tip: be sure to grease the bottle cage bolt before fitting - corrosion makes them stick, causing the Rivnuts to come loose and rotate in the frame...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

one of the reasons the bolts will ring or break can be due to galvanic corrosion and the different metal types (helicoil in frame & whatever the bolt is made of). To counter this, if you use some copper grease on the threads of the bolt as you tighten them, you should have no problems with breaking or ringing the bolts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/halfords-copper-grease-500g

Copper grease is also great on pedals, stem bolts, and basically anything that has a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Just under €4 for 4 of them delivered!

https://galibier.cc/product/bottle-cage-bolts/?currency=EUR

marvin80 wrote: »

Ordered, thanks

Thanks to everyone for suggestions as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

True, but the local hardware wouldn't charge delivery:D

marvin80 wrote: »

Arrived today, one of them would fit ok and then the other kept spinning.

I tried on their own and seem to go in ok, so tired with cage and/or pump holder but again kept spinning, felt lose and then one i had to tilt and pull as a tried to take it out

The screws are now damaged and i hope the screw holes in my break frame are not damaged from this

EDIT
    Emailed them and got full refund ( which I wasn't expected at all )and quick reply.

They say you need to start them at 90 degrees (news to me) , I have two left so I will try again and if not its cable ties or superglue or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

These bolts are aluminium and so it's really easy to damage the threads on them.

Use some grease on the threads.

If things are spinning, then:

Check if the rivnut (the threaded part in your bike frame) is spinning, or if the spinning is due to the threads on the bolt (or in the rivnut itself) being stripped off.

If the rivnut is spinning, you might be able to re-tighten it with a steel bolt and several large M5 washers and a pliers (ask for details if required)

If the rivnut is stripped, you'll need to find someone with a few spare M5 rivnuts and a rivnut setting tool (an engineering place rather than a bike shop).

Advertisement