Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday watches

Options
  • 20-06-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just wondering what watches people bring on holidays generally?

When I go away it's usually not to stay in a resort or hotel and as such have never quite felt comfortable bringing the seamaster, Carrera, bremont, or pretty much any watch I have away with me but while I'm away I generally miss wearing a watch.

Looking for something fair cheap (150-500) and robust. Activities that we usually go away for are diving, hiking etc.

I'd lovely something on stainless steel or rubber with rotating bezel and GMT. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Horoaddict wrote: »

When I go away it's usually not to stay in a resort or hotel and as such have never quite felt comfortable bringing the seamaster, Carrera, bremont, or pretty much any watch I have away with me but while I'm away I generally miss wearing a watch.

Looking for something fair cheap (150-500) and robust. Activities that we usually go away for are diving, hiking etc.

I'd lovely something on stainless steel or rubber with rotating bezel and GMT. Any suggestions?

I travel with my SKX011 and its cheap enough that I'm not worried about it. Its rugged enough to take anything I can throw at it.

The orange is a little loud so maybe an SKX007 or SKX009 for the understated look :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I use an SKX009 for exactly this. Under 200€ usually

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always take a couple of these badboys.
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9285424

Rugged, waterproof, cheap, don't mind if its lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I usually take my Seiko 5. I’ll wear my Speedmaster for nice events & where appropriate, and have the Seiko 5 for the beach, trips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hon the Seiko divers. - Sub 400 euro watches for the win! Beats taking the micra on holiday with a "My Other Car Is A Ferrari" bumper sticker!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Just to throw another side to this.. I’ve worn my Planet Ocean while travelling around Argentina for 3 and a bit weeks. It was on a rubber strap so didnt look too blingy. I don’t think I’d hesitate for a minute to bring it to anywhere in Europe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

fat bloke wrote: »
    Hon the Seiko divers. - Sub 400 euro watches for the win! Beats taking the micra on holiday with a "My Other Car Is A Ferrari" bumper sticker!! :D

+1 Seiko diver hard to beat at this price range. I'll throw another one into the mix, Seiko SKA 371, but you'll have to wear it 1 day a week afterwards to remind you of the hols.

483244.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Just to throw another side to this.. I’ve worn my Planet Ocean while travelling around Argentina for 3 and a bit weeks. It was on a rubber strap so didnt look too blingy. I don’t think I’d hesitate for a minute to bring it to anywhere in Europe.

Same.. Just back from Singapore > Vietnam > Hong Kong > Shanghai and wore my Breitling Emergengy and never thought twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always take a couple of these badboys.
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9285424

Rugged, waterproof, cheap, don't mind if its lost.

make you wonder why g-shocks are 5 times the price!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Vostok komandirskie or amphibian. Cheap, (€70. I would not consider sub €400 cheap!) waterproof, simple to change the time for time zones.
    Gshock are good, but can be awkward to change the times and if you're going somewhere nice it looks like a children's toy on your wrist. Vostok at least looks ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would have thought a Vostok Amphibia or a Casio Duro.

A vostok is automatic, so you can leave it in a drawer during the year. Quartz has danger of you realising your battery is gone the morning of your flight. And you retain credibility for wearing an automatic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sometimes 10x the price, as these guys were half price a couple of weeks ago, and are regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You dont really need a watch a watch on holiday, so if I bring one its as jewelry. I would rather have nothing than a rubbish watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Would normally go with the SKX009 for holiday duties, as much of our hollibobs are spent in water.

This year, I decided I'd bring my TAG F1 Professional instead. Despite not having been resealed for a few years now, it was fine with pool messing about and water slides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Horoaddict wrote: »

Casio G Shock. Cant go wrong, does exactly what it says on the tin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Normally this G-shock. Not sure if inexpensive and durable means "rubbish", but it does the trick and isn't too large.

casio-gshock-DW-5600HR-1-front__83814.1485583339.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Eoin wrote: »
    Not sure if inexpensive and durable means "rubbish",

lgiphy.gif

Not falling into that conversation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Watches are made for wearing. I bring my best on holidays.

If drinking I always wear on a nato. Rational being if I am unlucky enough fall/bang watch off wall etc. due to being wobbly and pop a spring bar then at least the watch won’t be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

893bet wrote: »

If drinking I always wear on a nato. Rational being if I am unlucky enough fall/bang watch off wall etc. due to being wobbly and pop a spring bar then at least the watch won’t be lost.

Genuinely love your realism! "If I'm drinking" :)

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »

It depends where you holiday. If you're going to south America/Africa/se asia I wouldn't bring a €10k watch. Or a stag night in Amsterdam. A guy I know was in Naples and he was told by someone they'd cut his arm off for his watch. It was a bad rep rolex. Fúck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ha well in SE Asia you might be able to get away with saying "this fake Omega speedmaster? can be yours for $10" :D

I generally bring my best too - though for more adventurous trekking etc. I bring my Casio Protrek - it's handy having a barometer (knowing when it might rain), the altimeter and thermometer are fun features too when rafting, gliding, hiking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

5 times more comfortable strap
    5 times better display

They will last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

fat bloke wrote: »

Or a golf and my other car is a Ferrari...
    Or a BMW and my other car is a veryon...

No matter what you pick car or watch some one is going to look down on it.. .

A better discussion would be what type of holiday, will it cocktails on the millionaire yacht, Villa in Spain or treking adventure...

Or diving to the bottom of the ocean...

https://barkandjack.com/2019/06/22/why-do-they-bother/

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Always bring a diver and a more dressy watch.

This year I brought my Seiko Sumo on a rubber band and a nice Seiko 5 on its metal bracelet.

First time I didn't bring a g-shock with me in a long time it was my go to holiday watch for ever.

2shea wrote: »
    Always bring a diver and a more dressy watch.

This year I brought my Seiko Sumo on a rubber band and a nice Seiko 5 on its metal bracelet.

First time I didn't bring a g-shock with me in a long time it was my go to holiday watch for ever.

Same here. A cheap one. Automatic. Preferably Russian :pac:

On my Summer holiday I bring a G Shock, a Diver on a rubber strap and either the bracelet for the diver or another dressier watch.

My Summer holidays are based around 3 weeks on the beach staying in an Air BNB so I don't have any real concerns about bringing nice watches with me. In fact they're probably safer with me on holiday than they would be at home while we're away.

Which makes me realise I should just bring all the 'nice' ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I alway get the holiday vibe of my Seiko Turtle PADI.

The blue sunburst dial with the red & blue bezel just look great in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been pondering this as I am going on holidays this week to Italy. I want to bring a nice watch but don't want to be a target. Of the two 'nice' non dress watches I have the explorer gets little to no attention so may bring that one. I have a few g-shocks but in that climate the rubber strap annoys me.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have been pondering this as I am going on holidays this week to Italy. I want to bring a nice watch but don't want to be a target. Of the two 'nice' non dress watches I have the explorer gets little to no attention so may bring that one. I have a few g-shocks but in that climate the rubber strap annoys me.

What part are you going? Personally if I was going to Rome or Naples I wouldn't bring the explorer. 99.9% chance you'll be grand, but you do get a lot of pick pockets and dodgy blokes hanging around the tourist spots. You'll be wearing short sleeves too.

I have a nato strap for my holiday watch, but with sweat and sunscreen I might change it for steel.

Advertisement