Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get a job without work experience?

Options
  • 19-06-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I'm 21 and have just completed the leaving cert. In the meantime, my parents think it's best that I look for a job.

I don't have any work experience with the exception of some work I did in Transition Year.

I'm wondering whether to apply for volunteer positions first or apply for just at mcdonalds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm 21 and have just completed the leaving cert. In the meantime, my parents think it's best that I look for a job.

I don't have any work experience with the exception of some work I did in Transition Year.

I'm wondering whether to apply for volunteer positions first or apply for just at mcdonalds.

Apply for general operators jobs, plenty of those going. If you are mature enough you should get a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I worked in mcdonalds when I was 16 or 17. Actually taught me a lot of things that stand by me in the corporate world now.
    Also, if you are applying without work experience, think of other things you have been involved in that allowed you to develop transferable skills. Any volunteering, sports, project at school, organisations you are involved with?

Good luck out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

You could start out working in a warehouse or shop etc and do volunteer work at nights or weekends. It looks good on a cv should you want to go for a better job in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭touts

Everyone has to start with no experience. You didn't mention if you plan to go to college. If you do then look for part time summer jobs but it is a little late this year as most positions will be filled so maybe the volunteer work with a charity could be a good bet (many companies like that sort of thing anyway).

If you aren't going to college then apply for non skilled jobs (McDonalds, factories etc). 21 is a little old to have just completed the Leaving Cert and normally that would be a bit of a red flag for a hiring manager especially with no work experience to divert their attention. But right now you are at a bit of an advantage as we are close to full employment so companies where the work isn't the most pleasant and wages are poor (e.g. meat processing factories) are struggling to get staff. If you could get in somewhere unpleasant and stick it out for a year then you would have experience on your CV and no one would notice the age thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Depends what you want to do. You could look at an apprenticeship, and this dosen't mean you need to become an electrician - there's apprenticeships in accountancy and business, for example.

Are you not able to go to college? Really, your chances of getting a job are greatly increased if you are a degree holder. You can do degrees part time too, if you need to work to pay your fees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement