Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance dog complaint - Barking

Options
  • 19-06-2019 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I have recently moved in to a new housing estate and we had a neighbour knock around and explain thier frustrations in relation to our dog barking during the day.

He informed us that a number of residents have been getting together to submit a legal document to the courts. I took their concerns onboard and have requested that they create a dialogue with us to remedy the situation.

The issue:

The complaint is about our dog barking continuously throughout the day, previous to this engagement we received a letter from the residents committee nearly 8/9 months ago saying our dog is barking 24/7. We questioned this fact as our dog is brought in at a reasonable hour and spends the night in the house. There are however a number dogs within vicinity of these neighbours that have been barking at night.

Our dog does bark occasionally throughout the day(We've CCTV to monitor this) I'm not saying my dogs an angel but there has to be a common ground to what's acceptable. Our dog is near 10 years old and gets walked regularly and spends the majority of it's time in the house.

Fix:
    We have engaged with a dog trainer to help alleviate the situation and have also increased the dogs walking schedule.

We have a dog licence and have the dog chipped. The dog is to big to left indoors while we are both in work.

Does anyone have any advice as we fear if this does go to court (which I'm willing to do) that the Judge seems to take the side of plaintiff. Our dog could be taken from us or ordered to be put to sleep from what I'm reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Does the cctv sound monitor the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RossieByrne

Does the cctv sound monitor the dog?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Dog barking simply pisses people off

You say "The dog is too big to left indoors while we are both in work. "

How long is your dog left in the garden each day while you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it just the barking that the neighbours are pissed with or does your dog wander around the estate causing disruption to your other neighbours when you’re not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

previous to this engagement we received a letter from the residents committee nearly 8/9 months ago saying our dog is barking 24/7.

Am I reading this correctly... they did the neighbourly thing and approached you 8-9 months ago and it sounds like you're only taken action now since you've been threatened with court :confused: So are we taking a year?! That's not recently moving in..

Your common ground should be to keep the dog in when you're at work- end of.. Get a dog walker to come during the day so he can go to the loo.

We have a similar situation where I live - there has been numerous complaints and the dog is still out barking/howling/crying driving us all mad at times. Your neighbours might work shifts or like me work from home sometimes or simply want some peace and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭SteM

Would be interested to hear what time the dog goes out and is brought in. You mentioned it came in at a reasonable hour but if your neighbors have been putting up with it barking a lot during the day it might not be a reasonable hour to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

OP have you considered Doggy Daycare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The dog is to big to left indoors while we are both in work.

This isn't true. Dogs are quite happy to disappear into a den during the day.
    The thing stressing your dog out is that it's usually with you, and then you abandon it outdoors during the day while you're away. It is probably left to guard a large yard, possibly with its snout up against a gate barking at everything walking past.

Having been the victim of an inconsiderate dog-owner, I can attest to the negative effect the constant barking can have on mental health. And that's not even mentioning some of your neighbours could have babies or work nights.

The only reason you are acting now rather than the other times is because you're afraid of losing the dog, rather than having an iota of respect for any of your neighbours - or if you prefer - "the plaintiffs the judge might side with". So stop being selfish. If you can't stop your dog barking during the day (by keeping it inside for example), you need to give it up to a responsible person who can. Or maybe pay for a dog-sitter during the day.

I feel sorry for your neighbours. Maybe some day you'll end up with a problem neighbour who destroys your enjoyment of your home by making excessive noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Humans hate sudden loud noises. It ruins their concentration and stops them relaxing. It's like having a house alarm sounding at random. Not surprised that they're taking legal action against you.

I bet you don't have young kids, either.

Dog barking simply pisses people off

You say "The dog is too big to left indoors while we are both in work. "

How long is your dog left in the garden each day while you work?

Between 6-7 hours and walked before we go to work.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it just the barking that the neighbours are pissed with or does your dog wander around the estate causing disruption to your other neighbours when you’re not there?

No, I'd never let a dog wander around by themselves, pooing and potential of biting others while unattended. Not something I have ever done.

Humans hate sudden loud noises. It ruins their concentration and stops them relaxing. It's like having a house alarm sounding at random. Not surprised that they're taking legal action against you.

I bet you don't have young kids, either.

Very insightful response, I have two young kids.

tk123 wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly... they did the neighbourly thing and approached you 8-9 months ago and it sounds like you're only taken action now since you've been threatened with court :confused: So are we taking a year?! That's not recently moving in..

Your common ground should be to keep the dog in when you're at work- end of.. Get a dog walker to come during the day so he can go to the loo.

We have a similar situation where I live - there has been numerous complaints and the dog is still out barking/howling/crying driving us all mad at times. Your neighbours might work shifts or like me work from home sometimes or simply want some peace and quiet.

Actions have been taken since then. The doesn't howl or cry and I have discussed this at length with the people either side of me.

antix80 wrote: »
    The thing stressing your dog out is that it's usually with you, and then you abandon it outdoors during the day while you're away. It is probably left to guard a large yard, possibly with its snout up against a gate barking at everything walking past.

Having been the victim of an inconsiderate dog-owner, I can attest to the negative effect the constant barking can have on mental health. And that's not even mentioning some of your neighbours could have babies or work nights.

The only reason you are acting now rather than the other times is because you're afraid of losing the dog, rather than having an iota of respect for any of your neighbours - or if you prefer - "the plaintiffs the judge might side with". So stop being selfish. If you can't stop your dog barking during the day (by keeping it inside for example), you need to give it up to a responsible person who can. Or maybe pay for a dog-sitter during the day.

I feel sorry for your neighbours. Maybe some day you'll end up with a problem neighbour who destroys your enjoyment of your home by making excessive noise.

The issue is that there is also other dogs in the area that are not walked mad bark 24/7.

antix80 wrote: »

I can echo this, 2 outdoor dogs. They bark to be let out when they hear movement in the kitchen or bathroom. Once let out and after a bathroom break if if the door is closed they bark to be let into the porch. They lie there and snooze. Unless someone is outside and paying them attention they stick around the doorway for most of the day to snooze.
    They will bark at voices comming from the countryside road, dinner time and bedtime ( to be put in).
    But the only other time would be if they were put back into the pen during the day.

Thanks to the people that gave valuable advice. We are going to look into these now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The issue is that there is also other dogs in the area that are not walked mad bark 24/7.

Don't worry about the other dogs. Just concentrate on your own.
    there has to be a common ground to what's acceptable

If someone breaks into your house, barking isn't a problem. If your dog is just having mental craic with the dog in the next estate, that's not a good enough reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have a big dog whole loves to bark if we left her in the garden.

Solution; dog door/flap (massive one) which we got a glazing firm to install as our back door is glass. We actually got the firm to take the existing pane out and put in a new one with the dog door as we are renting, all with the owners permission. If security is an concern the you can get ones where they only open for the dog as it has a collar chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

Thanks to the people that gave valuable advice. We are going to look into these now.

Get a muzzle for the dog. If you feel it is not your dog doing the barking record the days when the dog has a muzzle. This will be very helpful if a court case happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    Get a muzzle for the dog. If you feel it is not your dog doing the barking record the days when the dog has a muzzle. This will be very helpful if a court case happens.

Don't. A muzzle all day in the garden?Will not make a bit of difference to noise unless you are thinking of taping the poor dogs mouth shut which would be inordinately cruel. Not able to drink etc.

OP your dog deserves better. 7 or 8 hours alone all day - get a walker or someone to mind it in their house if they work from home while you are at work. It must be bad if your neighbours are going the legal route. It'll cost them e15 and once they have a reasonable approach with you and history the judge can make any order s/he wants. Take control now becore the judge makes an order that you might hate.

• Advertisement

IMO The use of a muzzle for 6-7 hours at a time is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Doggy day care. Problem sorted.

Don't. A muzzle all day in the garden?Will not make a bit of difference to noise unless you are thinking of taping the poor dogs mouth shut which would be inordinately cruel. Not able to drink etc.

OP your dog deserves better. 7 or 8 hours alone all day - get a walker or someone to mind it in their house if they work from home while you are at work. It must be bad if your neighbours are going the legal route. It'll cost them e15 and once they have a reasonable approach with you and history the judge can make any order s/he wants. Take control now becore the judge makes an order that you might hate.

Not one bit cruel. They are sold in per shops. Digs can actually drink with them. Sime breeds are meant to have muzzles on them. Not ideal but alot better than some prick shoving poison under the fence. And yes that dies happen!

Ridiculous comment about taping dogs mouth shut. Just deal with facts in future.
    Maybe a second dog could solve alot of the barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

How exactly is a muzzle supposed to stop a dog barking? It doesn't prevent them from opening their mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Not one bit cruel. They are sold in per shops. Digs can actually drink with them. Sime breeds are meant to have muzzles on them. Not ideal but alot better than some prick shoving poison under the fence. And yes that dies happen!

Ridiculous comment about taping dogs mouth shut. Just deal with facts in future.

Just because something is sold in a pet shop does not mean it can or should be used in an aversive manner.

I really don’t have any advice for the OP as we have to deal with one of ours that is an alert barker, what he thinks is necessary to bark at is arbitrary most times but never the less, his bark is his voice and we are committed to managing it the best we can with the help of a qualified behaviourist.

You talk about dealing with facts but you suggest putting a muzzle on an already distressed 10 year old dog for 7 to 8 hours a day. Muzzles are for short-term use only.

I'm sure a 10 year old dog that's never been muzzled before would be delighted to be muzzled for 7 or 8 hours a day.

Edit: also, why would recording the dog when they're muzzled and can't bark prove in court that the dog doesn't bark on a normal day when it isn't muzzled? Surely you need a video recording of it all day in the garden when it's free to bark showing it's not barking?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My neighbours have two dogs who are left out in the garden all day while they are elsewhere.
    Any time any other neighbour goes outside they bark and jump against the adjoining walls.

Its very annoying trying to enjoy your own garden in between barks. All the neighbours are unhappy with the barking, the owners are aware their dogs bark a lot but their attitude is "come and tell us when its annoying and we will go out and stop them" which is not a solution imo.

GreeBo wrote: »
    My neighbours have two dogs who are left out in the garden all day while they are elsewhere.
    Any time any other neighbour goes outside they bark and jump against the adjoining walls.

Its very annoying trying to enjoy your own garden in between barks. All the neighbours are unhappy with the barking, the owners are aware their dogs bark a lot but their attitude is "come and tell us when its annoying and we will go out and stop them" which is not a solution imo.

Yeah, we had the same issue with a neighbour. She 'took pity' on a dog that needed rehoming and then realised she didn't want a dog in her house so she just left it out in the back garden. The poor fella used to bark constantly whenever anyone else was out in their back garden. We gave up trying to sit out in the evenings or at weekends.

It's amazing the amount of people that want a dog, a pack animal, but can't or won't spend time with it. Then they're surprised when the animal complains and people they live around complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Yes dogs barking incessantly is incredibly annoying and can make life very unpleasant for people having to listen to them. But on the other hand dogs bark to communicate. Your dog is trying to tell you something i.e. I'm bored, lonely, scared, frightened of the noise it heard,excited by something it saw/heard etc. As an owner it is up to you to figure it out and either find a more appropriate outlet for them (i.e. if it's company it's looking for then doggy day care or walker) or if it's something that is causing upset remove the view of it, or if it's a noise have your dog inside with the radio on and mentally stimulating toys to keep them occupied.
    People always want the solution that's the quickest and takes the least amount of effort. That's sticking a plaster over a gaping wound. It's not going to work in the long term. We bring them into our lives and then expect them to conform without actually showing them how or helping them out.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    You talk about dealing with facts but you suggest putting a muzzle on an already distressed 10 year old dog for 7 to 8 hours a day. Muzzles are for short-term use only.

I'm sure a 10 year old dog that's never been muzzled before would be delighted to be muzzled for 7 or 8 hours a day.

Edit: also, why would recording the dog when they're muzzled and can't bark prove in court that the dog doesn't bark on a normal day when it isn't muzzled? Surely you need a video recording of it all day in the garden when it's free to bark showing it's not barking?

As his cctv system records sound It can show there are other dogs barking and not just the op dog.

I suggest a bit if muzzle training by the op. When dig starts barking put on the muzzle for a few minutes. Make it clear to the dog that if he barks muzzle goes in.

What solutions do you have?

For court to be mentioned the neighbours are seriously pissed. Nobody home for 7-8 hours each day gives the neighbors plenty of time to do harm.

Advertisement