Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home, small garden. How best to utilize it for dog

Options
  • 18-06-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We will soon be moving into a new house however it's in the middle of town and as such doesn't have a back garden per se.
    We will have a gate that leads to a small gardenesque space that then leads to a door to the kitchen of the house.

The space is 8ft on one side and 16ft the other side and 8ft wide.

My dog is house trained, will never go in the house and I take him to work with me everyday so he gets to go to the bathroom regularly during the day and iswalked in the evening but I'm wary of the odd time he needs to go late at night or very early in the morning when I can't get away for a walk immediately.

I'd need to gravel the space but I'm thinking of a small corner for him to do no 2 on.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Training is required - if you put a boxed in area in the corner where you want him to toilet, you will have to take him there from day 1, use a phrase/command - when he pees/poos there, lots of praise and a high value treat. Use a command - eg Toilet! or whatever - and send him/point to the square/area - if you make it fun and a 'game' he will catch on quickly... not sure what kind of surface you can use for him to toilet on that wont smell - sand? cat litter might work! just shovel up the clumped pee/poo?
    Good luck in your new home! (and how lucky are you to be able to bring your dog to work with yoU!!)

Advertisement