Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best area to stay in Paris if only there for two nights

Options
  • 17-06-2019 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are going to France at end of July and plan on staying in Paris for 3 days/two nites....we have never been in Paris before but would like to see as much of the main sites as possible in this short period of time. Could anyone advise me where would be the best/most ideal place for this? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I would first make a list of all the things that you want to do and see.
    Rank them in order, check opening/closing timed times and then pull out the map ( the rapt have a good interactive map app).
    For the central routes circle out from ile de la cite aka notre dames island. The river ferry can be a good way to move its a hop on hop off.
    Then check what type of nightlife you want.
    If you look along the rapid lines you could move further out but would have to head in with the workers.
    While the metro can be handy the bus allows you to see some lovely buildings along the way.
    Timing eg the arc de triomphe has a ceremony @ 6ish?
    Nb Some of the places are closed on mon or tue.
    Personally i perferred to visit the eiffel tower during the day and watch it twinkle over dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I booked Le Marceau Bastille after...got good reviews and i found it for good price in comparison to other sites..seems to be a good area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> best/most ideal place

As Glass inferred, impossible to know without knowing what/where you want to see. It also depends on how you plan on getting around and what your budget is.

> but would like to see as much of the main sites as possible in this short period of time

If it's your first time to Paris then I'd suggest that you try to only see a couple of places and just spend the rest of the time walking around and people watching. There'll be plenty of other occasions to go again in the future maybe? You can always follow on of the many online 2-day itineraries but again you'll be on your feet for a lot of the time and it may not always feel like a holiday when you're living to a timetable :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

LillySV wrote: »
    I booked Le Marceau Bastille after...

Le Marceau Bastille is probably fine and it's on a quiet street. A short walk to Bastille for lines 1, 5 and 8 as well as heading over to Rue de Lappe and Rue de Charonne for food and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Ponster wrote: »

If it's your first time to Paris then I'd suggest that you try to only see a couple of places

well I've went to Notre Dame first time round but it was late and did not see the windows in full glorious sunlight, kept saying I had to revisit "the next time"....
    Unfortunately I don't think I will live that long.:D

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. Yea just want to see the main attractions , only going there for 2-3 days as landing in Charles de gaillle.... my main purpose of hol is Normandy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I always stay around the 5th arr. safe, great transport links to and from the airport as well as across the city. Restaurants and bars and shopping too, mixed in with a lot of old Paris narrow streets, markets and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP as it is only two nights if you want a treat try googling hotels in Paris that have a view of the Eiffel Tower. Some hotels only have a few rooms with a direct view so you have to specifically book these direct with the hotel rather than booking sites where you'll be assigned any room. There are some 3 star hotels available with Eiffel Tower views so it need not break the bank and when you look outside at night and see the tower all lit up you'll feel it is well worth it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    OP as it is only two nights if you want a treat try googling hotels in Paris that have a view of the Eiffel Tower. Some hotels only have a few rooms with a direct view so you have to specifically book these direct with the hotel rather than booking sites where you'll be assigned any room. There are some 3 star hotels available with Eiffel Tower views so it need not break the bank and when you look outside at night and see the tower all lit up you'll feel it is well worth it.

Thanks, I’ll stay where I’ve booked this time around but definitely remember that for again.... I doubt I’l see much on this short journey to Paris so most likely be back there again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bring a decent pair of walking shoes and just walk, walk, walk. You'll soak up more Parisian atmosphere than you'd have thought possible, and most wrong turns will take you to some great places that barely get a mention in the guidebooks. Chances are, if you make a list and take the metro to each one in turn, you'll spend as much time walking up and down stairs and along underground tunnels to get to wherever it was you wanted to see, and then it won't look as good up close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We were there during the week. Stayed near Gare du Nord, which was handy for the Eurostar.
    Make sure the accommodation has air conditioning. Very important. And being close to a Metro station also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Use the open top tour bus. Most hotels will sell the tickets at reception. It brings you to all the main sights, so you can hop off on route, explore the attraction, then hop back on the next bus to the next one.

You can get great photos and selfies from the top deck!

u dont happen to know the name of the open tour bus and the price roughly? could do that the first day to get my bearings then walk the second and third days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭finbarrk

LillySV wrote: »
    u dont happen to know the name of the open tour bus and the price roughly? could do that the first day to get my bearings then walk the second and third days

There are usually brochures in the hotel lobbies advertising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

I usually do the free walking tours in cities, you get a real feel for the place also helps with orientation, picking out landmarks etc plus the guides are usually good.

Big Bus tours are in most major cities, here’s their website https://www.bigbustours.com/

Advertisement