Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chilli's and coldframes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

I've been growing chilli's for a few years now, lots of varieties. The way I do it, (and I'm not saying this is the best, but it works perfectly for me) is, I start off the seeds indoors in a small electric heated propagator, usually around end of February/beginning March,
    When they're ready to prick out i then pot on to small 9cm pots, potting up to bigger pots as required.
    I let them grow on a South facing windowsill until there zero risk of frost outdoors, then put them out to one of those wee plastic greenhouses from Lidl/aldi, its likely the coldframe would do much the same.
    I keep them fed with either a liquid seaweed feed, or a product called chilli focus, and They stay in pots, usually 10/15 litre pots, until harvest.

Also, I would check dimensions, as height might be an issue with some varieties, as an example a jalapeno plant could be 3 foot tall X 1 and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Thanks for you message. I didnt think they would be that big. I will have a hard time find a cold frame that height id say, not a lot of options on amazon.

I did have one of those green house i got from lidi or alid but the cover blew off and snapped the plastic connectors before i had a thing in it!
    It was similar to the one below but cheaper. Probably should have not set it up so early in the year. I might have better look with a smaller one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Greenhouse-Outdoors-Backyard-GWP12GN/dp/B07JNB28RR/ref=sr_1_58_sspa?crid=3IWB3UFAYQMB4&keywords=mini+greenhouse&qid=1560801160&s=gateway&sprefix=mini+gre%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-58-spons&psc=1

I plan on getting a heated propagator and doing things from seed next year spent a fortune in mr.middleton this year! Its too late in the year for a propagator be of any use to me now?
    And if it too late to go with seed does anyone know where might stock chilli plants to get me going?

So just to be clear i wont have any success with some kind of green house? planting them directly into the raised beds wouldnt be a good idea?

Thanks

Too late for seed by a few months. There may be a nursery with plants available, but plants should be getting bigger by now, it's mid June and mine are already producing chilli's, they'll be growing from now until the frosts come.

[I'm just detailing my method, in a raised bed with a cover could totally work, but I've never tried that way. I know lots of folks grow them in polytunnels, but without that space myself I grow them in pots

• Advertisement

thanks for your help, now to try and hunt down some grown chilli plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I have Chilli plants growing in my porch, they are about 18cm but no flowers yet. I read somewhere when the flower come i will have to polloniate them as there is no fly/bees in porch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I grow chillis outside most years and get reasonable results but a friend with a poly-tunnel does way better in terms of rich flavour and volume. Every time I put together a low end aldi style green house it gets taken out by storms so need to build a more robust structure when time permits. Basil has never worked for me outside and has become aphid infested in the porch. Shame really as basil and coriander are two of my favourite herbs and the two I always seem to struggle with.

eusap wrote: »
    I have Chilli plants growing in my porch, they are about 18cm but no flowers yet. I read somewhere when the flower come i will have to polloniate them as there is no fly/bees in porch?
    Yes, If they've no contact with pollinators, Use a cotton bud or paint brush, have one for each pot, and give a gentle dab from one flower to another. Each time you do, you'll get a chilli, so definitely worth it ;)

StopWatch wrote: »
    Yes, If they've no contact with pollinators, Use a cotton bud or paint brush, have one for each pot, and give a gentle dab from one flower to another. Each time you do, you'll get a chilli, so definitely worth it ;)

HaHa Doing the lords work. I'm sorry I missed out on all this chilli action this year. I have a day off work later on in the week doing to do my best to hunt down some plants but not much info on finding where i might buy someone online.

I was at bloom earlier and someone got the last chilli plant and only chilli plant i saw from under my nose at the end of the last day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement