Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best way to find an eating disorder therapist Ireland?

Options
  • 17-06-2019 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am not looking for people to PM me with people here as I am aware of the rules in that regard but I have recently tried to contact a counseller with regards an eating disorder and I have got a mixed response. In that some people just give me a quick text "im out of the country, contact you in a week" then they never come back to me. The other more high profile therapists are based in Dublin and im not against going there obviously if I had to but im looking to see what options are nearer Cork etc and also, how do I know if a therapist is any good?!

I know you may have to try a few to see if you can get a decent rapport but its not at all easy contacting a complete stranger to tell them you need help with your life, I just feel like a walking victim, im trying now for 4 weeks to see someone to talk about this, and either they aren't taking new clients, they are on holiday or they want inpatient care which wont suit me as im working full time. There isn't exactly a "Rate my Therapist" website so im left with a stab in the dark. Money isn't an issue for me, so I am willing to pay a lot for the right person but im starting to feel even worse about myself that I cant get started. Any advice?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,889 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OP, I'm sorry but we can't give recommendations here. Who might be great for one, wouldn't work for another.

All we can advise is that you speak to your GP. Ask them for guidance. Ask them for referrals, public and private. Have you seen a psychologist, or a psychiatrist? There is outpatient care available. You just need to know how to find it. You could also speak to your local public health nurse for advice.

I'm very sorry we can't be of any more assistance to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement