Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water manifold advice needed

Options
  • 16-06-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone! Self-build newbies here trying to tackle plumbing.

We've been trying to find a place to buy the PEX Manifold System in Ireland with no luck. So we're resigned to screwing together two brass manifolds for our cold water distribution. Our problem is that the ports never line up, no matter how we try to screw them together, and with a ton of plumber's tape.

Is there some trick of the trade to connect two water manifolds so that they line up all neat and tidy once tightened?

flic.kr/p/2gfh9Li

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Use a Liquid thread sealant.

No need to tighten mechanically, only liquid. However you are probably concerned about physical / mechanical strength.
    I have seen units with fixing holes built in; I don't really know how to fix these ones properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Use the locktite sealant that is like dental floss, rough threads up and wind a few wraps on, fittings don't have to be tightened to the last. If your doing lots radiators this stuff is great for the tails, way better than traditional ptfe

• Registered Users Posts: 3 selfbuildferns

We didn't even know these products existed! The angle of the two manifolds are almost 90 degrees, so I'd be afraid not to tighten it all the way. Do you think the Locktite floss stuff would work with this kind of angle. See photos here:
    flic.kr/p/2gfjrHH
    and
    flic.kr/p/2gfjrJp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

My favourite stuff is a loctite Thread Sealant Stick (like a big lipstick tube). Cant remember what exact code it is.
    Sets like bedrock, never had any leaks, but not much working time.

Also use loctite 567. Nozzle is thin and flat, allows a smooth, even coating on threads. Allows a bit more movement, doesn't set too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

We didn't even know these products existed! The angle of the two manifolds are almost 90 degrees, so I'd be afraid not to tighten it all the way. Do you think the Locktite floss stuff would work with this kind of angle. See photos here:
    flic.kr/p/2gfjrHH
    and
    flic.kr/p/2gfjrJp

No offence op, but if you’re lacking the knowledge on how to do this basic basic task in plumbing, then I’d seriously reconsider trying to plumb your own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 selfbuildferns

Thanks for the help! We figured it out and are gonna pick up that sealant ASAP. Our OCD can rest easy now
    whizbang wrote: »
    My favourite stuff is a loctite Thread Sealant Stick (like a big lipstick tube). Cant remember what exact code it is.
    Sets like bedrock, never had any leaks, but not much working time.

Also use loctite 567. Nozzle is thin and flat, allows a smooth, even coating on threads. Allows a bit more movement, doesn't set too hard.

Advertisement