Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

87 beemer with rust problem

Options
  • 15-06-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi I have a 1987 BMW 316 which was off the road and under cover for the past 6 years. I'm in the process of getting it back on the road again and had some work done on it, so it passed the NCT in January and now it's good for 2 years.

I need to fix up the body now as it has some rust here and there, and also a couple of other jobs:

- rust spots on wheel arches and under doors
    - rust and blisters on both bumpers
    - something draining the battery (I put a disconnector on it as a temp measure)
    - driver side lock not working

Looking for a good garage / body shop in Sligo (or I can get it to Dublin also) that would sort out these issues. Any recommendations appreciated - pics attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Buy yourself a cheap multimeter and use it to test the draw on the battery
    Its a simple check where you disconnect the battery lead and put the multimeter between the lead and pole of the battery and measure in amps to see what darin is on the battery. Then one by one, you pull fuses until the amp draw drops to zero.

I'll try find a video showing how it's done and post back

[EDIT]Here you go[/EDIT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

For the rust and body work I'd try Currids in Grange, they do pretty good work by all accounts.

For the electrical, if you can't source it, try IMC Electrics on Connolly Street in Sligo Town, he has a good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some bumpers.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=bmw+e30+chrome+bumper&_frs=1

You could try https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/

Try to avoid pattern replacements as the quality is often patchy. OEM is dearer but better in long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Place in Boyle called Riverside Customs are supposed to be very good. My cousin has used them before and highly recommends them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

That rust seems to be confined to the bumper and door which are bolt-on components. Your battery tray seems to be in great nick which is a normal place that gets it badly.

Google common rust on e30's and check those locations closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

rizzodun wrote: »
    For the electrical, if you can't source it, try IMC Electrics on Connolly Street in Sligo Town, he has a good reputation.

I used to get my car serviced by Fred, I was always happy with their work. They knew what they were doing.

Also, is E30owners still going? It was a great resource for me when I had an E30. I would love to have my old 318iS back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

from what we can see from the photos, that is no rusty at all.

You don't show the underside, that's where I'd be looking.

If it's as good as it looks, it's a great car.

high horse wrote: »
    .........Also, is E30owners still going? It was a great resource for me when I had an E30......

It's still going but very quiet these days.

It's still going but very quiet these days.

Any other active Irish classic BMW groups?

Not that I know of, I've been a few years without an old bmw so don't frequent the sites as much. There's still activity on e30owners, it would be worth posting up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Thanks for all the replies very helpful, I'll start contacting some of those garages as soon as I get insurance sorted out.

The car is in pretty good nick overall and only has 120k miles on it. I haven't checked the underside yet but will take a look and see if there's much rust there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Thanks for all the replies very helpful, I'll start contacting some of those garages as soon as I get insurance sorted out.

The car is in pretty good nick overall and only has 120k miles on it. I haven't checked the underside yet but will take a look and see if there's much rust there.

Have a look at the places that E30s typically rust.

The scuttle panel below the windscreen, around the sunroof if it has one, the rear wheel arches, around the rear lights and above the number plate is are all well known for rust. Of course the age of the car means the rust could be anywhere but I'd inspect those areas first

Advertisement