Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pruning plums

Options
  • 13-06-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I look to have made a bad job of attempting to train an espaladier (? - fan) plum on a northern wall. Now there is a load of sappy growth desperately seeking sunlight. Fair bit of fruit set, but that's not a big concern - could I / should I lop of the sappy growth at this time of year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Doesn't look to bad but I suspect the North wall is the problem, then you have a small wall so will have problems containing your plum anyway.

Provided you aren't hacking into it you can prune the new growth as it occurs. I'd cut all the new at the top back by half and pinch out any growth you don't want on a daily bases.

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/article/growing-fruit-on-a-north-wall/ has some useful info on what might grow OK on a north wall. If you have something traditional like Victoria then thats really one for a sunny south or west wall.

Advertisement