Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for PPSN number for Canadian citizen married to Irish Citizen

Options
  • 13-06-2019 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

My wife is Canadian and we wish to get her a PPS number as soon as possible as we cannot get her on car insurance until she has an Irish license. She can't get an Irish license without a PPSN. We have an appointment to get a stamp 4 in July (soonest we could get), but can we apply for the PPSN number before we have her immigration status sorted? She is currently on a 90 day visa which she got when she entered the country.

If the answer to the above is yes, then when applying for a PPS number, it says you need proof of address and your passport. All of our households bills, lease etc are in my name as it was easier as an Irish citizen to get these setup. Can we use these as proof of address as long as we bring our marriage certificate even though her name is not on them? We do live in the same house.

Any help on the above would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

My wife is Canadian and we wish to get her a PPS number as soon as possible as we cannot get her on car insurance until she has an Irish license. She can't get an Irish license without a PPSN. We have an appointment to get a stamp 4 in July (soonest we could get), but can we apply for the PPSN number before we have her immigration status sorted? She is currently on a 90 day visa which she got when she entered the country.

If the answer to the above is yes, then when applying for a PPS number, it says you need proof of address and your passport. All of our households bills, lease etc are in my name as it was easier as an Irish citizen to get these setup. Can we use these as proof of address as long as we bring our marriage certificate even though her name is not on them? We do live in the same house.

Any help on the above would be much appreciated!

Yes you can apply before the stamp 4, theres lots of reasons why you would need the ppsn before stamp 4, tax reasons if your married so you can be given a credit, you can't get health insurance without a ppsn, and health insurance is needed as part of application for stamp 4.

You could get your wife to become a patient at your Dr's then get a letter from them with address mentioned confirming her address and shes a patient.

Failing this you could get one of your own bills and write onto the bill a statment
    "As bill payer i confirm that I (your name) and my wife (her name) reside at the address mentioned on this bill"
    Sign and date the statment both you and your wife and as an extra you could get the local garda station to stamp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭username2013

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Yes you can apply before the stamp 4, theres lots of reasons why you would need the ppsn before stamp 4, tax reasons if your married so you can be given a credit, you can't get health insurance without a ppsn, and health insurance is needed as part of application for stamp 4.

You could get your wife to become a patient at your Dr's then get a letter from them with address mentioned confirming her address and shes a patient.

Failing this you could get one of your own bills and write onto the bill a statment
    "As bill payer i confirm that I (your name) and my wife (her name) reside at the address mentioned on this bill"
    Sign and date the statment both you and your wife and as an extra you could get the local garda station to stamp it.

Thanks dvdman, do you know if I can just drop into a social welfare office (d'olier house or Intreo center for Dublin), get a ticket and wait in line? Or do you need to book online. Nothing available online till July 5th, would like to get moving on this quicker than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Thanks dvdman, do you know if I can just drop into a social welfare office (d'olier house or Intreo center for Dublin), get a ticket and wait in line? Or do you need to book online. Nothing available online till July 5th, would like to get moving on this quicker than that.

I remember we booked online...The website says:
    "PPS Number allocation centre for County Dublin only deals with appointments booked online at www.MyWelfare.ie "
    So looks like walk in for Dublin is online only other countys maybe different.

Advertisement