Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage

Options
  • 13-06-2019 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

We have a sage plant that is enormous. It’s quite beautiful. I’m sentimental when it comes to my plants. It’s now encroaching on things around it. Our limited consumption cannot keep up with it. Any ideas about what to use it for when I cut it back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Personally I find some herbs are so vigorous that I have given up trying to use all of the growth- fennel and sage in particular. I just keep cutting back to prevent them from going to flower, and therefore extending the growing season. Having said that, I think that sage freezes well once you separate the leaves out, dry them and store them in a freezer bag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Same, I've a border hedge comprising rosemary and sage and end up shredding most of it once it gets to big. One other big use is smoking stuff over the barbeque, but it still only makes for a tiny fraction of what gets composted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can coat the leaves in batter and deep fry them, they're delicious! Or you can use them dry to add scent to pot pourris, or to put it in sachets with lavender for the wardrobes. Or you can dry the branches you cut and add them to the stove/fireplace when you light a fire. You can also add a leaf to chamomile tea, it goes very well with it, the two plants complement each other very well.

My grandmother used to cut her sage right back, almost to the wooden part, at the end of each winter or just before the weather started to turn mild, and every year it'd grow right back, full of luscious, healthy leaves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New Home wrote: »
    You can coat the leaves in batter and deep fry them, they're delicious! Or you can use them dry to add scent to pot pourris, or to put it in sachets with lavender for the wardrobes. Or you can dry the branches you cut and add them to the stove/fireplace when you light a fire. You can also add a leaf to chamomile tea, it goes very well with it, the two plants complement each other very well.

My grandmother used to cut her sage right back, almost to the wooden part, at the end of each winter or just before the weather started to turn mild, and every year it'd grow right back, full of luscious, healthy leaves. :)

Yearning here.. so far I have mint and lemon balm and long for more

Advertisement