Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think whatever manager we get should bring in their own team and bring something fresh to the setup, bringing back Kinnerk won't add anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Any takers for Derek McGrath??

If you want the best why not Brian Cody? Because there is as much chance of him coming to Clare as there is Kinnerk next year.

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get. At this moment kinnerk is second fiddle to kiely. Maybe he has ambitions of managing his own team, with his own backroom staff. I'm fully aware JP and the Limerick county board wouldn't be happy but an approach to him should not be ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Incredible point from Sean Ronan in the minor game near the end, looking forward to seeing it again tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

caddy16 wrote: »
    Incredible point from Sean Ronan in the minor game near the end, looking forward to seeing it again tonight.

https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1140635121785155584?s=19

• Advertisement

Nope, if we are going outside the county I'd like to have a proven All Ireland winner

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Clareman wrote: »

Thanks even better than I thought, a catch to spare as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

too complicated in his approach , if you are going outside the county you would want to be talking about eamon o'shea of mike ryan from tipperary , there style of play would suite us much more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

The positive thing about getting a new management is where the team itself is at in terms of development. The core group of Clare senior hurlers are pretty much in their prime, we are just short probably about 4 players imo. We dont need a new management to start a rebuild, or one that is taking over a core group in its last few years (like Daly did in 2004).

To be totally honest with people, I'm not too pushed about getting the biggest names or the most decoriated CVs to take over management of Clare. I dont see it as imperative. As I said, we are not rebuilding, so this team does not need alot of guidance from the sideline anymore.

Most people have Daly as their obvious candidate and I get it, but I'm not exactly sure do I love the idea. He will have the lads fired up of course, but he has always being a pragmatist in his managerial career (that's not a knock, his mostly had to cut his cloth to suit). But the team for me needs more of a manager that will give them a license to go at and take the game to the opposition.

For me, really I'm more interested in candidiates who can bring fresh new outlook and ideas to a team. Gherefore we can take the risk with a young coach becuase this team doesn't need a massive amount of developing. They need someone who can get them back on form. Over on the Waterford forum, they talk of Shefflin, which is obviously a long shot, but its the kind of thinking I would subscribe to. Maybe someone like Tommy Dunne who has alot of coaching experience (he is coaching Tipp but he could take a manager offer)? Or EOS as WSH mentioned above. I don't know, I'll post my opinions when we get an idea of who potentially will come forward.

Overall I think this team got overburdened with tactics this year and got lost in exactly what game plan they were trying to play. I think going forward, a young coach might be the best way in terms of simplfying things a bit, but also play players like Diarmuid Ryan, Davy McInerney and Tony Kelly in more suitable roles and just get at teams. Bring a bit of buzz and enthuasism back in team that will get the crowds out and spirits up.

Ps. For the love of what is all good and beautiful in this world, please not fupping Derek McGrath lolol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe we could even coax Fanning away from Waterford

• Advertisement

full run down on who scored and in some ways lack of scoring over league and championship

clare_2019_img.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

full run down on who scored and in some ways lack of scoring over league and championship

7 scores in 4 games from our starting full forward line :(

letowski wrote: »
    7 scores in 4 games from our starting full forward line :(

1-2 in 4 games from john conlon , who was our best player last year '

0-5 from play from our sweeper ,

0-3 points from play for aidan mccarthy who only got cameo roles off the bench

cathal mcinerney comes on scores equals podges scoring record in the space of 5 minutes

the importance of squad rotation is huge our bench scored well the reason we are probably out so early is we didn't have enough faith in them to start them

for playmaking alone jason mccarthy, ryan taylor and diarmuid ryan brought to the team yesterday , they were the changes to make after the tipp game really

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

too complicated in his approach , if you are going outside the county you would want to be talking about eamon o'shea of mike ryan from tipperary , there style of play would suite us much more

Someone else suggested Daly to do the fire and brimstone stuff, with a more technical no.2. I think O'Shea would be ideal for that, same job he did for Liam Sheedy.

Maybe we could even coax Fanning away from Waterford

Rumor has it the Waterford players didn't want him at all...... They wanted Mattie kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭supernova5

Originally Posted by caddy16 View Post
    https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/...785155584?s=19

A totally astonishing score, must surely rank as one of the most outrageous seen on a hurling pitch.. [but probably a total fluke]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

supernova5 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by caddy16 View Post
    https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/...785155584?s=19

A totally astonishing score, must surely rank as one of the most outrageous seen on a hurling pitch.. [but probably a total fluke]

No fluke. This guy has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

How did the U20 footballers get on against Limerick last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jim Conlan Media

@JimConlanMedia
    Follow Follow @JimConlanMedia
    More
    61min injury time Gearoid Cahill goal gives @GaaClare a 1-12 to 1-10 win over @LimerickCLG in u20 Adam O Connor League in Cusack Park this evening. Clare led 9pts to 4pts at Halftime

tricky assignment for the footballers tomorrow evening in carrick on shannon , they face a leitrim side on the crest of a wave all year , lost to mayo on penalties in the fbd league , before gaining promotion to division 3 and had a decent win at home against wicklow in round 1 of the qualifiers

ryan o'rourke is one of the top scorers in the country with a total tally of 4-40 in both league and championship , along with ray mulvey and domhnaill flynn
    are decent forwards too so i expect them to put up a score

we do have an advantage in the middle , the rossies exposed them badly in this area of the field in the connacht championship , emylin mulligan is a huge loss for them also he and one or two more have gone abroad for the summer

i expect clare to win but it should be very close given how well o'rourke is playing , dean ryan is back for the injured kevin hartnet while gavin cooney is in for darragh bohannon , a repeat of the second half against kerry would be enough to see us through , a similar performance to the first half of that game or the game against waterford and it will be close

1: Stephen Ryan (Kilrush Shamrocks)
    2: Dean Ryan (Na Fianna)
    3: Cillian Brennan (Clondegad)
    4: Gordon Kelly (St Josephs Miltown)
    5: Conall Ó hÁiniféin (Éire Óg)
    6: Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)
    7: Sean Collins (Cratloe)
    8: Gary Brennan (Clondegad)
    9: Cathal O’Connor (Coolmeen)
    10: Sean O’Donoghue (Cooraclare)
    11: Eoin Cleary (St Josephs Miltown)
    12: Jamie Malone (Corofin)
    13: Gavin Cooney (Éire Óg)
    14: David Tubridy (Doonbeg)
    15: Cian O’Dea (Kilfenora)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I dont think Anthony Daly is the answer. Hes yesterdays man. He ll have Clare playing a sweeper again. It's time to go outside the county. Jaime Wall would be a brave choice and his mileage wouldn't be bad considering he lives in Limerick...plus hes got his own transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I dont think Anthony Daly is the answer. Hes yesterdays man. He ll have Clare playing a sweeper again. It's time to go outside the county. Jaime Wall would be a brave choice and his mileage wouldn't be bad considering he lives in Limerick...plus hes got his own transport.
    Plays a sweeper, you mean modern hurling?
    Why wouldn't he or any manager be playing a sweeper when required? Granted I dont mean when playing with a gale and needing to chase a game!
    For me a manager and team needs to be flexible and varying approach depending on conditions and players(own and opposition).
    No point in just lining up 15 v 15 and get beaten like majority of the last 100 years.

Clare 3-17 Leitrim 0-17

Comfortable win in carrick on shannon for the footballers , built up an early lead after 20 minutes of 2-08 to 0-2 , had two more point blank shots saved malone and cleary both denied by leitrim keeper cathal mccrann , the home side went point for point before half time , 2-12 to 0-6

it was pretty much game over at that stage leitrim won the second half 0-11 to 1-05 as clare adopted a defensive strategy and emptied the bench , eimhin courtneys goal 15 minutes in to the second half made it 3-15 to 0-11 points the home side finished stronger kicking some excellent points from range outscoreing us 0-6 points to 0-2 in the final 1/4

10th win qualifier for clare and 7th under collins hopefully we can continue the trend for another few weeks and see where it take us some big names in the hat for monday morning though , i am sure the county board would love us to get someone like mayo or tyrone at home as it would rake in the cash . personally i would prefer avoiding some of the bigger names for a few more weeks

David Tubridy 0-05,
    Eoin Cleary 0-07
    Gary Brennan 1-03
    Jamie Malone 1-02
    Eimhin Courtney 1-00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare 3-17 Leitrim 0-17

Comfortable win in carrick on shannon for the footballers , built up an early lead after 20 minutes of 2-08 to 0-2 , had two more point blank shots saved malone and cleary both denied by leitrim keeper cathal mccrann , the home side went point for point before half time , 2-12 to 0-6

it was pretty much game over at that stage leitrim won the second half 0-11 to 1-05 as clare adopted a defensive strategy and emptied the bench , eimhin courtneys goal 15 minutes in to the second half made it 3-15 to 0-11 points the home side finished stronger kicking some excellent points from range outscoreing us 0-6 points to 0-2 in the final 1/4

10th win qualifier for clare and 7th under collins hopefully we can continue the trend for another few weeks and see where it take us some big names in the hat for monday morning though , i am sure the county board would love us to get someone like mayo or tyrone at home as it would rake in the cash . personally i would prefer avoiding some of the bigger names for a few more weeks

David Tubridy 0-05,
    Eoin Cleary 0-07
    Gary Brennan 1-03
    Jamie Malone 1-02
    Eimhin Courtney 1-00

Sean O'Donoghue had a great first half. Disappointing lack of impact from Clare subs..Clare lost their shape in second half particularly in last 10 minutes. Backed Gary Brennan anytime goalscorer at 17/2. My wife backed him too. Between us won 142.50 🙂

The footballers are away to Westmeath in the next round, not a bad draw considering some of the teams still in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

The footballers are away to Westmeath in the next round, not a bad draw considering some of the teams still in it.

Not a bad draw at all, even though I am sure they think the same up in Westmeath.

For the 4 teams in Clare Vs Westmeath & Offaly Vs Laois, there is a great chance to have a right crack off making the super 8's. There are none of the 4 provincial losers that would have you quaking in your boots. Not saying they are terrible, but I think any of the 4 counties above would fancy their chances of putting it up to them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Clare have a great chance of making it into super 8. Neutral venue next round too should they overcome Westmeath which i’d expect they will quite comfortably. They would fancy Cork particularly given the recent record.

If it was in the league you'd imagine that home advantage would be huge for Clare or Westmeath so I wouldn't be counting our chickens just yet be we know we're good enough to beat them.

I don't think there's a beaten provincial finalist that we'd be frightened off, the Super 8 is really achievable this year.

• Advertisement

If it was in the league you'd imagine that home advantage would be huge for Clare or Westmeath so I wouldn't be counting our chickens just yet be we know we're good enough to beat them.

I don't think there's a beaten provincial finalist that we'd be frightened off, the Super 8 is really achievable this year.

Personally I think we have better players then westmeath but there forwards are fairly good, ger Egan is flying for them,

They also won division 3 so there confidence should be fairly high this will be there first game this year against a side outside of division 3 or 4 though

Advertisement