Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract not up - looking for new job

Options
  • 12-06-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering is a bad manners to be actively looking for work and asking to go to interviews before my current contract is up?

It is due to end in a month and there is no indication the person I am covering won't come back. I'm just wondering does it look bad to ask for an hour off to go to an interview? I did ask and the manager said that's no problem. On reflection I just thought it might not look the best. I will see out the rest of my contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

sure you've asked now, what does it matter.

If they don't mind, they don't mind. If they are planning on extending your contract surely this would prompt them to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's a bit weird. Typically people 'secretly' go for interviews. That means ringing in sick, pretending they're going to the dentist, etc.

So although I think you can be applauded for your honesty, it's not normally how people do it.

To answer your question - is it bad manners?

No it's not.

Is it a bit different?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Depending on length of contract, they normally give you a months notice they are extending your tenure in the firm.

If they have,nt done that, you should actively be looking for a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was in a similar situation and straight up asked the manager if they will be extending my contract , he said HR won’t sign off the headcount but he could keep me on a rolling basis.

He was understanding that I had bills to pay etc and was grand giving me time off for interviews.

I think you should have asked him about extending your contract first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

I see no issue with it at all, at this stage unless you have heard otherwise then you can naturally assume that your contract is going to come to an end as initially agreed. In such cases I would be as accommodating as possible to support someone in finding their next gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

ted1 wrote: »
    I think you should have asked him about extending your contract first

I didn't ask if my contract will be extended. The lady I am covering for will be back next week and there is no need for both of us.

I think my manager understands and doesn't mind. Hopefully find something permanent next time.

Advertisement