Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Plugs to automatically turn on Espresso Machine

Options
  • 12-06-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Anyone use a smart plug (simple timer plug or something like a Belkin Wemo) to turn their machines on in the morning?
    I'm looking to upgrade my machine and the model recommends a warm up time of 30 to 45 minutes.
    I'd like to use a smart plug to put this on a schedule so the machine is ready to use when I get up.
    Any issues I need to be aware of here? The machine I'm looking at getting (Rocket Giotto) has a mechanical switch so it "should" be suitable.

Thanks,

HJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shouldn't be an issue. Loads of people use smart plugs or timers for kettles etc. Once it's designed for a 13A socket it will be fine. Make sure you use a reputable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Del2005 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue. Loads of people use smart plugs or timers for kettles etc. Once it's designed for a 13A socket it will be fine. Make sure you use a reputable brand.

The belkin wemo plug has the following written on it:
    "240V-/13A/50Hz/3120W" (13 Amp @ 240 Volt @ 50 Hz and 3120 Watts)

All I can find on the Rocket is that it needs 1100 watts so looks to be ok.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've a boiling water tap (I know not boiling buy you know what I mean) connected to a smart plug, no problem at all with any supply of power, this is on 24/7 for about the last 6 months no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Clareman wrote: »
    I've a boiling water tap (I know not boiling buy you know what I mean) connected to a smart plug, no problem at all with any supply of power, this is on 24/7 for about the last 6 months no problem.

Just wondering, why do you have it connected to a smart plug. if it's on 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Just wondering, why do you have it connected to a smart plug. if it's on 24/7?

He means the smartplug is on 24/7

• Advertisement

OP here with an update.
    I ended up getting a Hive smart plug. Can control the on/off times using the same Hive app I manage my home heating and hot water.
    It's working really well and I've never had to manually turn off my new espresso machine.
    I've also creates a smart action in the hive app to turn the machine on for an hour only. Thus gives me time to warm the machine up (my machine recommends 20 to 30 mins) and pull a few shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

smart plugs are the way to go with an espresso machine - can turn it on when you're leaving work if you want a cuppa when you get home. "Google, turn off the coffee machine" is the last thing i say downstairs every night

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP here with an update.
    I ended up getting a Hive smart plug. Can control the on/off times using the same Hive app I manage my home heating and hot water.
    It's working really well and I've never had to manually turn off my new espresso machine.
    I've also creates a smart action in the hive app to turn the machine on for an hour only. Thus gives me time to warm the machine up (my machine recommends 20 to 30 mins) and pull a few shots.

Did you go with the Rocket Giotto in the end? If so how are you finding it? Would love one but they ain't cheap, never thought Id spend €1000+ on a machine but Im seriously tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So glad my espresso machine only takes one minute to heat up.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did you go with the Rocket Giotto in the end? If so how are you finding it? Would love one but they ain't cheap, never thought Id spend €1000+ on a machine but Im seriously tempted

I did. Went with the rotary pump model too so it's nice and quiet.
    The coffee (Badger & Dodo Blackwater blend) is tasting great but I might shop around once that bag is gone and see how other blends taste with the machine.

It was a once in a life time purchase for me. Was considering buying a new TV but at the moment with a young child, we NEED coffee more than we need TV :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement