Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New contract - one month notice to terminate me but three months if I want to quit.

Options
  • 11-06-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

As the title states, I'm reviewing a contract and it states that the company can give me one month's notice to terminate me, but I need to give them three months if I intend to quit.

Is that a bit unfair? It would be a logistical nightmare if I decide to job hunt in the future. Of course I don't plan to job hunt now but who knows what will happen in a year's time.

I'm not a CEO / manager of anything - it's a junior IT position and I've literally just started. It would be understandable if I've amassed years of know-how that is not easily replaced.

Do you think three months is a bit much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It's unfair.

It should either be 3 each or 1 each.

I think 3 months is completely OTT for a junior IT guy.

Do you have options? (other job offers)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,203 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can they do that? Why wouldn't you just get your new job, work a month and leave? Or if the job is not that vital to you, review the contract - cross out three and write in one and initial it. I'm probably talking out the top of my head, but it does seem a bit unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

looksee wrote: »
    Can they do that? Why wouldn't you just get your new job, work a month and leave? Or if the job is not that vital to you, review the contract - cross out three and write in one and initial it. I'm probably talking out the top of my head, but it does seem a bit unreasonable.

A lot of companies are putting three month termination of contract into their contracts these days, does,nt make sense to me ...

OP, 3months their side, 1 month yours ... at least you know where their priorities are , if you take the job, keep your eye out for another role that maybe better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Do you think three months is a bit much?

Three months is insane for a junior developer. One month would be standard for junior, senior and lead developers, in my experience. I'd query it and get the contract updated to one month. Do not update it yourself, as suggested above. Is this a consultancy firm role, OP?
    CFC1969 wrote: »
    A lot of companies are putting three month termination of contract into their contracts these days, does,nt make sense to me ...

OP, 3months their side, 1 month yours ... at least you know where their priorities are , if you take the job, keep your eye out for another role that maybe better

Going to be very hard to find a job as a junior developer if you have to give three months notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

[/QUOTE] Going to be very hard to find a job as a junior developer if you have to give three months notice.[/QUOTE]

Yea, its not good, but have seen employers (BT for example) putting this into contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Berserker wrote: »
    Is this a consultancy firm role, OP?

No.

Advertisement