Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting from Ratoath to Park West

• 11-06-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I am new to Ireland and considering taking a job in Park West Industrial estate commuting from Ratoath village. Although the distance is short (only 29km) the traffic on the M50 is showing the journey to take between 1hr-1.5hrs in the morning and again in the evening, I would be working normal office hours (9-5).

I am wondering if there is anybody currently living in Ratoath area driving this commute that can advise what it is like in reality? Or have any tips? Is it worth trying to work 8-4 or will the roads still be the same? Googlemaps are not showing any difference by leaving home earlier.

I'm also wondering what the quality of driving is like in such traffic? I drive but I wouldn't be an experienced driver, having lived in cities with good public transport for many years, I never needed to drive to work or in rush hour. I would get used to it in time but would be interested in an opinion from someone who knows this route.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

M50 commute is not pleasant and travel time can be unpredictable if there's a crash it goes to pot. Believe what Google says time wise. If you are living in Ratoath try looking for jobs on the north side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I work in Citywest and live in Dunshaughlin village so similar to yourself. 9 to 530 Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday I leave at 8.00-8.05, get there 8.50-9.00(more if crash) Fridays I don't leave til 8.10 and it takes me 40 minutes.

If I'm ever awake earlier I'd leave 7.45 and go through Lucan to avoid toll.

Doing it 18 months now. It's not as bad as you think (90% of the time :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Did a similar commute a few years ago. The longest part of that commute is going to be from the M50 into Parkwest itself. You could be 20 mins trying to get of it in the evening and another 20mins to get into the M50. Once on the M50 you'll be fine.

I used to go through Leixlip in the morning to avoid the tolls. Paying it once a day was enough for me.

Advertisement