Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Voucher

Options
  • 11-06-2019 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

Quick question on behalf of a mate of mine who won a €90 GUI voucher in a competition at our home club a few weeks ago. (He had the round of his life and shot a 51 pointer!)

It is my understanding that it can be redeemed in a lot of places, not just golf related. My question is does the entire voucher need to be spent in one transaction?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

:D:D

I said the same to him myself! He got cut massively down to 18 afterwards so now he's regretting submitting the round of his life so early in his golfing career, realistically he's around a 22-23 on a good day but everything lined up the day he hit the 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jason_Arch wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question on behalf of a mate of mine who won a €90 GUI voucher in a competition at our home club a few weeks ago. (He had the round of his life and shot a 51 pointer!)

It is my understanding that it can be redeemed in a lot of places, not just golf related. My question is does the entire voucher need to be spent in one transaction?

Thanks.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

My club don't do GUI vouchers anymore, but I remember when they did I was told any shop can redeam the voucher so any shop can take them, but obviously that doesn't mean they would.
    You can ask the club which local shops will accept them

As for 51 points, no bandit would ever put in 51 pointsðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

that is just mental
    what handicap?

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    My club don't do GUI vouchers anymore, but I remember when they did I was told any shop can redeam the voucher so any shop can take them, but obviously that doesn't mean they would.
    You can ask the club which local shops will accept them

As for 51 points, no bandit would ever put in 51 pointsðŸ˜

Yeah I think he'll need to ask the club which shops take them.

My question is does the voucher need to be spent in its entirety in one transaction?
    Seve OB wrote: »
    that is just mental
    what handicap?

He was playing off 25 I think when he hit the 51, cut down to 18 now but his scores since then have been in the low 30s so he's been getting the 0.1s added back the last few competitions. As I said, from playing with him the last year I think his realistic handicap is around 22-23.

I wasn't playing with him when he got 51 but I was told the ball went exactly where he wanted it every shot, one of those freak rounds where everything just goes right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I think he'll need to ask the club which shops take them.

My question is does the voucher need to be spent in its entirety in one transaction?

He was playing off 25 I think when he hit the 51, cut down to 18 now but his scores since then have been in the low 30s so he's been getting the 0.1s added back the last few competitions. As I said, from playing with him the last year I think his realistic handicap is around 22-23.

I wasn't playing with him when he got 51 but I was told the ball went exactly where he wanted it every shot, one of those freak rounds where everything just goes right.

Should get change from any transaction using the voucher...used to be a list of shops on gui site, it's not really anything to do with the club tbf.

We have also done away with them at my club

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So that would mean he shot 10 over for the 18 holes (assuming a CSS of 36), so no reason he shouldn't be playing off 18, even if everything aligned perfectly on the day.

As an FYI, if he is shooting in the low 30s since going to 18, then that probably is about a right handicap level.

36 points is not meant to be your average score, its supposed to be you having a good round, so tell him not to beat himself up too much over his current scores.

You should get more 0.1s than anything else when you are playing golf. If he's averaging low 30s, then he's playing close enough to the buffer in general, so 18 sounds about perfect.

Re GUI Vouchers, I have come across places that look to see you spend a voucher in full, as they say that they would have to issue the change in vouchers. Whether or not that's a legit excuse, I don't know, but I've heard it happen.

So that would mean he shot 10 over for the 18 holes (assuming a CSS of 36), so no reason he shouldn't be playing off 18, even if everything aligned perfectly on the day.

As an FYI, if he is shooting in the low 30s since going to 18, then that probably is about a right handicap level.

36 points is not meant to be your average score, its supposed to be you having a good round, so tell him not to beat himself up too much over his current scores.

You should get more 0.1s than anything else when you are playing golf. If he's averaging low 30s, then he's playing close enough to the buffer in general, so 18 sounds about perfect.

Re GUI Vouchers, I have come across places that look to see you spend a voucher in full, as they say that they would have to issue the change in vouchers. Whether or not that's a legit excuse, I don't know, but I've heard it happen.

I think he was 12 over alright so close enough. Yeah he was just getting used to scoring 35-40 every competition so it'll be a shock to the system for him :D

Both of us are only starting out since April so still learning all of these things - I've gone up a shot to 29 but scored my best ever score at the weekend there, 32 points. Would it generally be the case that around 35/36 would be needed to get a cut (depending on CSS of course)?

I'll let him know about the voucher, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree with everything Space says
    and the fella was used to shooting 35-40 every comp?
    well he was way to high in that case.
    I think 18 is more than fair for him now, he can go back up as far as 19 this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think he was 12 over alright so close enough. Yeah he was just getting used to scoring 35-40 every competition so it'll be a shock to the system for him :D

Both of us are only starting out since April so still learning all of these things - I've gone up a shot to 29 but scored my best ever score at the weekend there, 32 points. Would it generally be the case that around 35/36 would be needed to get a cut (depending on CSS of course)?

I'll let him know about the voucher, thanks.

Cuts are entirely driven by your score relative to the CSS. You have to beat the CSS in order to get a cut.

For example, in my course, par is 72, but off the whites in Stableford (in calm weather), the CSS is regularly 71, so you would need to shoot more than 37 points to get a cut. Off the blues, in medals, the CSS is regularly 73, (so 35 points in Stableford equivalent)

At you're handicap, you'd be a Category 5 golfer (until you get to 28, when you'd become a Category 4). So being in Cat 5, you get cut 0.5 from your handicap for every shot better than the CSS. And it also gives you a 5 shot buffer to avoid any further 0.1s. So if your score is within 5 shots of the CSS, your handicap won't change (that changes to 0.4s & a 4 shot buffer once you're down to 28)

Welcome to the weird world of golf, stick with it. It sounds like you're trending the right way yourself. Don't worry too much about handicaps I'd say. Cuts will eventually come, if you put the work in.

Advertisement