Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force 4G only

Options
  • 10-06-2019 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to force a Samsung phone to use 4G network only?

Just switched back to Samsung from a Huawei and had forgotten that Samsung have a 4G/3G/2G auto connect option and no 4G only option in the settings menu. Data keeps going out of reception on car journey to work making it next to impossible to stream music.

Huawei have a 4G only option and data coverage on work route never drops.

Found an old dialler code *#*#4636#*#" that's supposed to give menu to switch to 4G only but that's not working on the A70 I have.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Don't know about the exact path on the Samsung, but try something like the following

Settings > SIM card/mobile network > network type > LTE/4G only

Or try a search for for some of those phrases in settings.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Don't know about the exact path on the Samsung, but try something like the following

Settings > SIM card/mobile network > network type > LTE/4G only

Or try a search for for some of those phrases in settings.

It's not there, probably.

I've done loads of messing with HTC's over the years, and the options in that menu would vary from region to region and carrier to carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

G1032 wrote: »
    Is there a way to force a Samsung phone to use 4G network only?

Just switched back to Samsung from a Huawei and had forgotten that Samsung have a 4G/3G/2G auto connect option and no 4G only option in the settings menu. Data keeps going out of reception on car journey to work making it next to impossible to stream music.

Huawei have a 4G only option and data coverage on work route never drops.

Found an old dialler code *#*#4636#*#" that's supposed to give menu to switch to 4G only but that's not working on the A70 I have.

Cheers

It's *#*#4636#*#*

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's not there, probably.

I've done loads of messing with HTC's over the years, and the options in that menu would vary from region to region and carrier to carrier.

Ah, okay.
    I was looking at miui, which does have that option, and for both SIMs too.
    It was only a stab in the dark for the Samsung options.

on the A70 I have

Do you mind me asking what you think of the A70?
    It's in my watch list. Really like what is offered.

Not too sure of the camera though. I'd be using it mostly for photos of the kids. How does it hold up do you think?

Anything else with mentioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ah, okay.
    I was looking at miui, which does have that option, and for both SIMs too.
    It was only a stab in the dark for the Samsung options.

https://www.digitbin.com/change-lock-4g-bands-jio/amp

It depends on the chipset.

Remember you won't be able to receive calls on three network when you force LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

https://www.digitbin.com/change-lock-4g-bands-jio/amp

It depends on the chipset.

Remember you won't be able to receive calls on three network when you force LTE

Why cant you receive calls on the network when force 4g? First I heard of this.

Why cant you receive calls on the network when force 4g? First I heard of this.
    Three network doesn't support VoLTE yet. It's not an issue with Vodafone or Eir as far as I know as they do but I'm not a customer of theirs.

When you go to engineering settings and force 4G the phone drops the hidden background 3g connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Three network doesn't support VoLTE yet. It's not an issue with Vodafone or Eir as far as I know as they do but I'm not a customer of theirs.

When you go to engineering settings and force 4G the phone drops the hidden background 3g connection.

The amount of missed call and slow texts to my phone is unreal. I have it on 4G not forced and it defintly misses calls completly and texts arrive late.

The amount of missed call and slow texts to my phone is unreal. I have it on 4G not forced and it defintly misses calls completly and texts arrive late.

If a backup 3g reception is not available or reception is poor (like in my parents house) despite full 4g signal your will miss calls and have delayed texts.

I often have to resort to using Whatsapp calling to get in touch with people in my parents house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks folks
    Got this sorted after contacting Three
    They said to select network carrier manually and see how that went. No data coverage drop at all yesterday after doing that

Don't ask me why or how that worked but it did!!

Do you mind me asking what you think of the A70?
    It's in my watch list. Really like what is offered.

Not too sure of the camera though. I'd be using it mostly for photos of the kids. How does it hold up do you think?

Anything else with mentioning?

Positives:
    Huge screen. It uses all of the screen too (not cropped at top and bottom).
    Very snappy I have to say. No lag etc.
    Huge battery and fast charging is great
    Happy with the UI

Negatives:
    Fingerprint scanner not a patch on the P9 one (my phone prior to the A70). A software update, rolled out everywhere except Ireland it seems, is suppsoed to have fixed this.
    Not waterproof or dustproof but never needed waterproof feature on old phone so didn't let that be a show stopper for me. (guaranteed now I'll get it soaked and fry it)

Camera:
    I'm no photography critic so won't be able to give you a proper analysis of the camera. However here's what I can tell you:
    • First impressions were that I prefer the P9 camera. I thought that was brilliant.
    • It seems more difficult to get a 'fuzz' free snap with the A70, as if the stabilisation isn't as good as it was with the P9. Maybe it's just me.
    • I used the Bokeh effect on the P9 quite a lot and this feature is definitely not as good on the A70. There are very good editing options though on the A70 to creature this Bokeh effect but it's effort I didn't have to go through with the P9
    • There are slow motion and super slow motion effects on the video which work really well! Haven't seen those before so might be just a novelty for me at the minute

Just in case anyone is interested in this phone, the update promising fingerprint recognition improvements has finally landed to 3 Ireland. Fingerprint sensor now works perfectly. Haven't had a chance yet to check how the camera updates have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just in case anyone is interested in this phone, the update promising fingerprint recognition improvements has finally landed to 3 Ireland. Fingerprint sensor now works perfectly. Haven't had a chance yet to check how the camera updates have worked.

Let us know about the camera, thinking of getting the A70 aswell but need a good enough camera, be interesting to see if the update did anything.

Let us know about the camera, thinking of getting the A70 aswell but need a good enough camera, be interesting to see if the update did anything.

It's no worse than the P9 camera. I've nothing else to compare it to other than phones older than the P9.
    It's not a flagship standard camera but then again the phone doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

There was another update released lately too which should come to Ireland soon enough. Didn't examine the exact details of it though.

Re the camera again - I've only one gripe and that's the Bokeh effect is not a patch on a Huawei phone. That won't bother everyone of course.

Advertisement