Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract ending

Options
  • 09-06-2019 8:36pm

Hi

I’ve worked for the company I’m in for 3 years. The contract was covering someone who went from maternity leave straight to sick leave and straight on to a 2nd maternity leave with no break. Then she was granted Carers leave for a further year.

She was supposed to give one months notice of her intention to return to her full time job which should have been 21 May as my contract ends on 21 June. She didn’t. I (wrongly ) assumed she was not coming back and her job would be advertised and I could apply (open competition) and hopefully hang on to it.

I found out just on Friday she is now coming back in 2 weeks. I also found out that this full time job which I’ve broken my back to do for 3 years, through a company restructure and regionalization, has been given to her part time 9-12.30 every day.

I feel undermined and also feel the role which is a customer service has been undermined. I don’t know how a reception/secretary/admin job can be done part time when there are only 2 other staff members who have completely different job specs. Who answers the phone and deals with clients calling to the door and making appointments? This is a public sector job.
    Guess I just have to suck it up but right now I feel so undermined about this and sick to my stomach, I’m gone onto the dole in 2 weeks after working full time for 3 years.

To be honest I feel like just ringing in sick now . I guess I just need to vent a bit here .
    Anyone else been through similar ? Thanks

Comments

As you know the company has to accommodate her return.

Would you be able to take on the other hours. Would that suit you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Looks like she gamed the system to her advantage. Not much you can do, legislation is there to protect her in this situation. Good luck with the job hunting.

As you know the company has to accommodate her return.

Would you be able to take on the other hours. Would that suit you?

No they’ve already said they won’t be looking for anyone to do the other half of the job. Legislation is on her side and she’s used the system to her advantage for sure. She’s on a much higher pay scale than me too , so I probably shouldn’t be surprised she came back.

I’ll get over my disappointment in a few days, maybe there’s something better coming along ;)

Advertisement