Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligibility for promotion while on probation in CS

Options
  • 09-06-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

ant

Does anyone have any experience with probation eligibility?
    Established CS recently promoted to HEO equivalent post so currently on probation.
    Applied for the InterD HEO competition while on panel for promotion but before I was appointed. I assume, based on circular, that if successful at interview, I am eligible as I would have been if I hadn't taken up promotional appointment. 
    Can anyone confirm?
    There is a contradicting statement is the circular to the effect that you cant apply if you are in a post with the same or greater max salary. This doesn't apply to me because at the time of application I was in an EO equivalent post with a max salary less than HEO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Generally you’re fine once you’re established (in the civil service) as you will have competed a probation in a previous grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AG30

Check with your HR Department, I was in a slightly similar position except I was on probation in an EO role and had served 2 years as a CO previously. I was eligible because I had my 2 years service as a CO even though I was on probation in my EO role. Not sure if it is the same for someone who is now a HEO equivalent though as in general you can't be considered for the same grade.

Your HR should be able to clear it up fairly quickly. I personally think the statement in the circular makes it sound like you would be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭doc22

ant

Does anyone have any experience with probation eligibility?
    Established CS recently promoted to HEO equivalent post so currently on probation.
    Applied for the InterD HEO competition while on panel for promotion but before I was appointed. I assume, based on circular, that if successful at interview, I am eligible as I would have been if I hadn't taken up promotional appointment. 
    Can anyone confirm?
    There is a contradicting statement is the circular to the effect that you cant apply if you are in a post with the same or greater max salary. This doesn't apply to me because at the time of application I was in an EO equivalent post with a max salary less than HEO.
    From HEO comp

A candidate who accepts an offer of appointment as Higher Executive Officer, whether
    as a result of this competition or otherwise, will cease to be eligible for appointment
    from this competition. An officer who retires, resigns, etc. from his or her position in
    the Civil Service will cease to be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

doc22 wrote: »
    From HEO comp

A candidate who accepts an offer of appointment as Higher Executive Officer, whether
    as a result of this competition or otherwise, will cease to be eligible for appointment
    from this competition. An officer who retires, resigns, etc. from his or her position in
    the Civil Service will cease to be eligible.

Thanks

Advertisement