Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook 12" Retina display £799 @ Amazon [i5 model now £999]

Options
  • 09-06-2019 12:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

416b8WWq8sL._SL1024_.jpg

Buy @ Amazon.co.uk - £799

Sold and shipped from Amazon. New and sealed. Its an older model but might suit some.

12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Retina display
    Dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core m3
    Intel HD Graphics 615
    256GB SSD storage
    8GB memory
    USB-C port
    Up to 10 hours of battery life
    802.11ac Wi-Fi

Apple Website Full Specs
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Davy wrote: »
    416b8WWq8sL._SL1024_.jpg

Buy @ Amazon.co.uk - £799

Sold and shipped from Amazon. New and sealed. Its an older model but might suit some.

Apple Website Full Specs

Would this be adequate to run Photoshop?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Would this be adequate to run Photoshop?

It really depends on what you use photoshop for. The main problem this laptop has is that it has a very weak processor. It should be fine for lighter tasks, but it might struggle with more intense work. If you just use photoshop to touch up photos and such, and you generally don't use massive files then I would say it would run it just fine. Much beyond that and I think you could be in trouble.

This is a good deal for what it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Would this be decent for gaming such as Roblox / minecraft/ agario??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic deal Davy..

.. mighty tempted but 13" is the sweet spot on laptop screens for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Only wrote:

Mac for gaming? You'd get much better options going with a Windows machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Only wrote: »

No. You'd get a windows laptop five times more powerful for gaming for less.

This is a good deal for what it is, but it's a low end spec in terms of raw power.

Perfect bargain for someone who wants an ultra portable Macbook with a lovely screen for everyday casual use.

In the same sense that you wouldn't purchase a surface tablet for gaming or heavy productivity either, that's not their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

How about a present for my wife who's a teacher.
    Mainly used for internet browsing and office suite.
    Currently using a Acer Swift one .
    We need another laptop in the house as the old desktop died
    She hasn't used apple before.

sugarman wrote: »
    Its ideal for those kind of tasks but since she hasnt used Apple / iOS before id opt for a Windows machine. Not solely because of the OS but theres just much better bang for buck available.

A a 13" HP pro book with a nice 8th gen i5, 8GB RAM and a 256GB NVMe drive is about €100 cheaper and a lot more powerful.

any chance of a link to one please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

61gT2Gm6OzL._SL1024_.jpg

Windows Surface Laptop 1st gen £499 @ Amazon

This might be an option if you have a tighter budget and prefer windows. Its a lower spec and discontinued as the surface laptop 2 is already available but will still be valid for a few years with Windows 10.

Pros:
    Bigger screen, cheaper, windows user.

Cons:
    Less ram, discontinued, no USB-C, smaller SSD

Microsoft Surface Laptop Full Spec

Thanks Davy.
    I see it's a touchscreen so don't want to confuse things because the Acer Swift is not.
    I suppose I'm looking for another laptop so we can pick up either one.
    But I'm thinking an i3/5, 8 GB ram and 256 SSD.
    As an improvement to the Acer which is Pentium 4gb ram, 128 SSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

RossieMan wrote: »
    Mac for gaming? You'd get much better options going with a Windows machine.
    No. You'd get a windows laptop five times more powerful for gaming for less.

This is a good deal for what it is, but it's a low end spec in terms of raw power.

Perfect bargain for someone who wants an ultra portable Macbook with a lovely screen for everyday casual use.

In the same sense that you wouldn't purchase a surface tablet for gaming or heavy productivity either, that's not their purpose.

Thanks a mill!! Will keep an eye out for a deal on a Windows one

Only wrote: »
    Thanks a mill!! Will keep an eye out for a deal on a Windows one

For the games you've mentioned, a gaming laptop would cost pretty small money.

People are just so used to paying outrageous prices in places like Curry's that they don't realise how affordable a 'gaming' laptop can be.

Something like this at about €650 or so would run those games (and other popular all-ages stuff like Fortnite/Overwatch) at ultra settings effortlessly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Surface Laptop still available at £499 (Macbook now £1188)

Davy wrote: »
    61gT2Gm6OzL._SL1024_.jpg

Windows Surface Laptop 1st gen £499 @ Amazon

This might be an option if you have a tighter budget and prefer windows. Its a lower spec and discontinued as the surface laptop 2 is already available but will still be valid for a few years with Windows 10.

Pros:
    Bigger screen, cheaper, windows user.

Cons:
    Less ram, discontinued, no USB-C, smaller SSD

Microsoft Surface Laptop Full Spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Thanks OP. Got one of these. Great price. Not the fastest on paper but already feel the difference in slickness between my supercharged 6 core XPS 15. The MacBook ‘feels’ faster for everyday tasks. Which is what I use the laptop for. Will miss the fingerprint scanner though...

The XPS will be going up on adverts...

Is that an 8th gen i7 in the newest XPS?? That would literally be tenfold faster than the Macbook's ULV Core M processor. Not to take away from the Macbook bargain, but if it's faster than the XPS then something is seriously wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Is that an 8th gen i7 in the newest XPS?? That would literally be tenfold faster than the Macbook's ULV Core M processor. Not to take away from the Macbook bargain, but if it's faster than the XPS then something is seriously wrong!

Running VM's, CPU intensive apps and games the XPS wipes the floor with the MacBook. However for simply surfing the web, and just 'waking up from sleep' the MacBook wins. Better screen, better speakers and no fan noise.

Just bumping this as the i5 version is reduced to £999 (Silver & Space Grey). Again its sold and shipped directly by Amazon.

I know its a discontinued model but the refurbs on Apple are dearer than this. In stock (11) and ready to ship straight away.

Apple MacBook (12-inch, 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) - Space Grey or Silver £999

• Dual-core 7th-generation i5 processor
    • Intel HD Graphics 615
    • 512GB SSD storage
    • 8GB memory
    • USB-C port
    • Up to 10 hours of battery life
    • 802.11ac Wi-Fi
    • Force Touch trackpad

Advertisement