Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to find a good coffee?

Options
  • 09-06-2019 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve read some people’s views on different coffees and know This isn’t a popular one but I’ve been drinking costa for years. I usually get caramel syrup, whipped cream and sometimes an extra shot of espresso depending on the day.

But most mornings I make my own at home. Have the costa beans and make my own coffee with cream, syrup and hot milk. I’ve tried other beans once or twice but ended up very disappointed so reverted back to what i at least could trust.

Has anybody any tips or advice on how to try out different coffees? I don’t know anything about flavors or anything like that. I was going to try and get something similar (but possibly nicer) then costa but I don’t even know what flavor that is!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The high quality beans you'll get from the likes of 3FE, CoffeeAngel, Roasted Brown, or Bailies — these will have tasting notes on them, similar to bottles of wine. They'll give you an indication of the types of flavours you'll get from a specific bean and roast, which will help you select your favourites in the future.

Of course, the brewing method also matters, because it can bring out different flavour profiles depending on how you do it. What way do you brew?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

MJohnston wrote: »
    The high quality beans you'll get from the likes of 3FE, CoffeeAngel, Roasted Brown, or Bailies — these will have tasting notes on them, similar to bottles of wine. They'll give you an indication of the types of flavours you'll get from a specific bean and roast, which will help you select your favourites in the future.

Of course, the brewing method also matters, because it can bring out different flavour profiles depending on how you do it. What way do you brew?

Thanks for that. I use a delonghi caffe corso machine. Used to grind the beans myself (loved the process) but this machine grinds the beans itself. I have the strength setting on full, have water setting (for me) on possibly one third the max cause I like strong coffee.

I’m not married to costa. Having one now and reading some of the criticisms of it in other threads have me really savoring today and it’s not great. I do find some days it does taste much better then others do not sure if it’s more my own mood or not that determines it cause I make it the same way every day.

from what you say it might be a trial and error process. I just love my morning coffee and hate when it’s wasted on coffee I don’t like. I won’t drink instant, pub p.*ss or the stuff that comes out of machines at garages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I'm convinced the problem is dark roast beans.

I don't think many people enjoy dark roast coffees and the bitterness that comes with them, added to the bitterness that comes from the brewing temperature the chains use - so they need to load the coffee with all kinds of milks, creams, syrups and sugars to mask that.

Switch to medium or light roast and dial back the fats and sugars completely, with medium roast coffee you get lots of dark stone fruits, berries, dark chocolate flavours coming through, and crucially, less bitterness.

Then try some Ethopian Yirgacheffe for a completely different coffee experience.

Advertisement