Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public lice/crabs-Help!

Options
  • 08-06-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve literally just realized I may have these. Is there anything I can do until my GP opens on Monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I’m pretty sure the treatment is available OTC in any pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’ve literally just realized I may have these. Is there anything I can do until my GP opens on Monday?

Go to the chemist, ask to speak to the pharmacist tell him/her your symptoms and they will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it the save treatment as for head lice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Is it the save treatment as for head lice?

Doubt it. I think they are different creatures.
    Edit. They are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Just asked my sister for you (not a pharmacist but works in a chemists) she advised speaking to a pharmacist, there's over the counter treatments available and it's not very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Chemist can give you an over the counter cream. Dont ask for headlice stuff, theyre a different species altogether - just bite the bullet and tell them what it is.

You will probably have to shave your nethers before applying the cream. The cream can't be used long term since it's a topical pesticide so if you're a hairy person you should shave from your knees to bellybutton. The eggs are laid on hairs and they will seek pastures new if you don't shave enough.

Change your bed clothes, and anything you've worn or slept on since you think you got them needs to be bagged up and put in a shed or somewhere away from living spaces for a couple of months. The eggs are very difficult to kill and will go dormant for up to three months as far as I remember. Bodyheat reactivates them.

I’ve had them for a while so that’s most of my clothes. I have other skin issues so the itching wasn’t so unusual.
    How I prevent them spreading to others around me?

Treating them ASAP and not sharing any bedding, towels or clothes. Are you living alone?

Are you sure its pubic lice btw?

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Are you sure its pubic lice btw?

Well not 100% but I’ve been really itchy down there and today I found these Brian crusty lumps on me.

• Advertisement

Well not 100% but I’ve been really itchy dune there abs today I found these Brian crusty lumps on me.

You should be able to find nits (eggs) with a comb. The lice themselves look kinda like the head on a blackhead pimple. Theyre extremely tough little critters, you won't be able to crush them with your fingers.

If youre not sure then go to a GP. But that sounds like crabs.

Just noticed all the typos in my last post!

I noticed what I thought were freckles around my belly button but they are raised and with effort come off. There so small I can’t tell what they are but whatever it is it’s dark brown and intensely itchy.
    I’ve looked at myself and found more around my man bits. I’m quite hairy down there so what I can see is limited but things are coming together.

At this point OP you should really go to your GP if you're not sure what it is that's going on, as anything else is going into medical advice territory.

Best of luck and hope it clears up soon.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement