Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Union (Chris O'Dowd)

Options
  • 06-06-2019 4:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An odd format in that each episode is only 10 minutes long. A cast of two (Chris O'Dowd and Rosamund Pike) with a witty and sharp dialogue. Well worth a watch.

On something called Sundance TV, but easy enough to find online from the usual sources.

MV5BMTEwNDc2Nzg3ODFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDc3Mzc2NTcz._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,638,1000_AL_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8708280/

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just watched this, can't recommend it highly enough. O'Dowd and Pike are both excellent in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wondering why they just didn't do a film instead of that format?

I'll give it a watch though because of Chris O'Dowd

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wondering why they just didn't do a film instead of that format?

I don't think it would have worked as well as a film. Each episode is set in the pub just before the couple go to visit their marriage counsellor. If it was a film you'd need some sort of sub-plot to flesh the whole thing out, as well as links to fill in the gaps between each pub visit. By having 10 minute episodes you can just end each visit and not have to be concerned about what happens next. The episode can then be referred to in the following one without having to come up with a storyline to link the two seamlessly, and the writers also having to do that a further eight times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Watched all 10. Great stuff and yes I can see now how a film wouldn't have worked as the format.

Good performances from both Rosamund Pike and Chris O'Dowd. I heard nothing about this before so thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first one this morning. Very enjoyable.

Great acting from both. Very 'real'. Hornby is great at writing dialog like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just watched this on the RTE Player. Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This gets a run on BBC2 starting on Sunday at 10pm (Double Bill)

10 minute shows tend to get lost in the EPG listings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The show won an Emmy last night. A deserving tribute.

chris-odowd-emmys-2019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season starring Brendan Gleeson & Patricia Clarkson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Going for the boomer crowd this time (looks in mirror)!

I enjoyed the first run, esp Rosamund Pike who is just the epitome of (apparently) effortless class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement