Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loftus Surname

Options
  • 06-06-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Long time boards user but account was lost / inactive, so recreated it today.

I am doing research, looking for my biological father. I've done extensive DNA testing (Autosomal and Y-DNA). As I don't know what my father's surname is, I am using Y-DNA to help guide.

What we know, is that I'm Irish (despite being born in South Africa, my Y-DNA very clearly points to Ireland).

My closest matches are two gentlemen, living in Australia, that have Thomas Loftus b1784 - d1864, Corraslustia, Roscommon as their 'line'.

I've built family trees now for 2 years, searching but we keep coming up short. I then remembered using Boards when we lived in Ireland for a number of years from 2003 till 2008.

Is there anyone that might know anything about the Loftus surname in the Roscommon area. One other area I'd consider is paying for someone with this surname to do some DNA testing to see if it helps my search.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Welcome back
    Try the County Roscommon Heritage and Genealogy Centre
    Strokestown
    email info@roscommonroots.com
    Loftus is also a common name in Mayo. Similar centres are at Ballina and Ballinrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chazaxl

Great, thanks. Ill email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There are Loftus's in Boyle, County Roscommon.

http://www.loftusmedicalcentre.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/castlereagh/kiltullagh/ballinlough/corraslustia/

Above contains links to the 1901 & 1911 Irish census.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭148multi

Chazaxl wrote: »
    Hi all,

Long time boards user but account was lost / inactive, so recreated it today.

I am doing research, looking for my biological father. I've done extensive DNA testing (Autosomal and Y-DNA). As I don't know what my father's surname is, I am using Y-DNA to help guide.

What we know, is that I'm Irish (despite being born in South Africa, my Y-DNA very clearly points to Ireland).

My closest matches are two gentlemen, living in Australia, that have Thomas Loftus b1784 - d1864, Corraslustia, Roscommon as their 'line'.

I've built family trees now for 2 years, searching but we keep coming up short. I then remembered using Boards when we lived in Ireland for a number of years from 2003 till 2008.

Is there anyone that might know anything about the Loftus surname in the Roscommon area. One other area I'd consider is paying for someone with this surname to do some DNA testing to see if it helps my search.

Many thanks

There are Loftus in roscommon town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The lofti clan stretch far and wide but mostly around Mayo and Roscommon I think

Advertisement