Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycle old mouldy duvets

Options
  • 06-06-2019 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have about 4 old duvets and a load of pillows I need to get rid of. They have been in a shed for the last 3 years, they are damp and mouldy and just not nice. No good for anything really.

How can I recycle or dispose of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

If they're feather you could, in theory remove the feathers and put them in with composting material; the council's I mean, not your garden compost bin.

Realistically, I'd say they're only fit for the land-fill bin or skip at the council dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭obi604

If they're feather you could, in theory remove the feathers and put them in with composting material; the council's I mean, not your garden compost bin.

Realistically, I'd say they're only fit for the land-fill bin or skip at the council dump.

To bring them to a recycling centre or a dump, would I have to pay to dispose of them?

obi604 wrote: »
    To bring them to a recycling centre or a dump, would I have to pay to dispose of them?
    Yes. Prices vary. Check your council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭obi604

Yes. Prices vary. Check your council website.

Thanks. I see there is a council recycling and then companies like panda etc offer some kind of a service. Which one do I use?

Cost vs convenience and avoiding an unnecessary car journey to the tip, I suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Soak in used veggie oil and use bits of it for lighting the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I gave mine to a local dog/animal shelter. Before they got mouldy. Sorry, not wishing to sound mean, but at this stage it is landfill for yours really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's mouldy then it would need to be autoclaved to be sterilised before it could go anywhere. With all the biomass it couldn't be recycled for plastic.

Landfill or incineration.

Advertisement