Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with Node or Python in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-06-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a junior developer with ~9-month experience, and I've been unemployed for the last 3 months. I'm experienced with PHP and Laravel, and looking to shift to a new technology. I've been using my frontend skills and messing with other technologies for the last while (C#/.Net Core and Java). I also know MySQL

I want to work with JavaScript. I'd take a Frontend job, but I'm not sure how possible this is if I'm not a designer? Ideally, I could do full stack as I'm learning Node/Express. I'd also be open to learning Python. I really don't want to use C#/Java. Am I screwed and making life harder without C#/Java?. I really enjoy using CSS and Javascript.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

I suppose reading your post the first question I have is why do you feel the need to learn languages you dont like? Is it to get a new job?

If you like js then go for it - throw all your energy into it, get to meetups and try to get talking to devs in that area and see what you need to know. Look at a few job adverts of the type of role you fancy and see what their expectations are and identify where you need to upskill.

Have you applied for roles that interest you? Obviously getting back into employment will help further your prospects.

My experience is I have spent the last three years being switched around to different technologies as the company I work for needed. I think its a mistake on my part to let that happen and I should have stuck to one tech stack and build up a strong experience before moving on to something new. I dont feel like I have mastery of anything so my suggestion to you is pick one thing and go for it.

Hi

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a junior developer with ~9-month experience, and I've been unemployed for the last 3 months. I'm experienced with PHP and Laravel, and looking to shift to a new technology. I've been using my frontend skills and messing with other technologies for the last while (C#/.Net Core and Java). I also know MySQL

I want to work with JavaScript. I'd take a Frontend job, but I'm not sure how possible this is if I'm not a designer? Ideally, I could do full stack as I'm learning Node/Express. I'd also be open to learning Python. I really don't want to use C#/Java. Am I screwed and making life harder without C#/Java?. I really enjoy using CSS and Javascript.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Most, if not all frontend positions are not design related, although having an eye for design helps.

You need to look for grad/junior positions.

With only 9 months experience, stack doesn't really mean a whole lot, you should focus on the core skills and interview questions (algorithms and data structures).

Get out there and do interviews! Don't go learning a brand new stack just to have it on your cv, as you won't learn it sufficiently to answer any tricky interview questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WiseWitness

krazyklown wrote: »
    I suppose reading your post the first question I have is why do you feel the need to learn languages you dont like? Is it to get a new job?

If you like js then go for it - throw all your energy into it, get to meetups and try to get talking to devs in that area and see what you need to know. Look at a few job adverts of the type of role you fancy and see what their expectations are and identify where you need to upskill.

Have you applied for roles that interest you? Obviously getting back into employment will help further your prospects.

My experience is I have spent the last three years being switched around to different technologies as the company I work for needed. I think its a mistake on my part to let that happen and I should have stuck to one tech stack and build up a strong experience before moving on to something new. I dont feel like I have mastery of anything so my suggestion to you is pick one thing and go for it.

I love Javascript so much. It's a brilliant language. I can't put myself through C# and Java. I don't get the same thrill factor that I do with JS.

I'm going all in on JS. I will start to go to meetups. Is DublinJS any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WiseWitness

colm_c wrote: »
    Most, if not all frontend positions are not design related, although having an eye for design helps.

With only 9 months experience, stack doesn't really mean a whole lot, you should focus on the core skills and interview questions (algorithms and data structures).

Get out there and do interviews! Don't go learning a brand new stack just to have it on your cv, as you won't learn it sufficiently to answer any tricky interview questions.

I don't want to work with Java/C#. I've tried and I get no enjoyment working with them. I love JS though, and I'm learning node which is great.

I wouldn't mind working with Python though, it looks intersting. ATM I'm going all in on JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

colm_c wrote: »

Honestly, this is the best advice you will get. I think it is a horrible way to judge people in interviews for these roles but the majority of companies place most of the emphasis on this stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement