Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subject clash

Options
  • 05-06-2019 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I just finished TY and I'm going into fifth year. I chose politics and society and japanese. I just noticed that they're time tabled for the same time. Will I still be able to take both subjects? Japanese is done as an after-school class so it's considered an extra subject and if I have to drop it a subject, it'll have to be that one, but I've really been looking forward to doing it since second year. Will I have to drop it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No, you can't do both unless you do one outside of school also.

Edit: fairly certain ive misunderstood the question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

sorptomber wrote: »
    I just finished TY and I'm going into fifth year. I chose politics and society and japanese. I just noticed that they're time tabled for the same time. Will I still be able to take both subjects? Japanese is done as an after-school class so it's considered an extra subject and if I have to drop it a subject, it'll have to be that one, but I've really been looking forward to doing it since second year. Will I have to drop it?

Talk to your Principal. Usually for a clash arrangements are made for you to sit the additional exam at a different time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

sorptomber wrote: »

It's dealt with here https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=tt for this year's Leaving Cert.

See the section called IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN RELATION TO THE 2019 LEAVING CERTIFICATE TIMETABLE

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sorptomber

RossieMan wrote: »
    No, you can't do both unless you do one outside of school also.

Edit: fairly certain ive misunderstood the question.

The school facilitates the classes but they're held outside of school hours and they bring in a teacher who isn't part of staff for it. Just unsure of if I'll be able to sit the exam if the timetable stays the same
    sullivlo wrote: »
    Talk to your Principal. Usually for a clash arrangements are made for you to sit the additional exam at a different time.

Ahh I will!! Thank you!!
    It's dealt with here https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=tt for this year's Leaving Cert.

See the section called IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN RELATION TO THE 2019 LEAVING CERTIFICATE TIMETABLE

Yeah, but both pol and soc and japanese were time tabled for the same time under the revised timetable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will be kept behind after whichever exam you sit first, given a short supervised break and then you will sit the paper the others sat while you were sitting your first paper.

It happens quite often, though the timetable was extended by a couple of days this year to try and do away with most of the clashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sorptomber

spurious wrote: »
    You will be kept behind after whichever exam you sit first, given a short supervised break and then you will sit the paper the others sat while you were sitting your first paper.

It happens quite often, though the timetable was extended by a couple of days this year to try and do away with most of the clashes.

Ahh that's great, thank you for letting me know! I could have sworn I looked at the new time table and seen jpns and pol and soc at different times, but I must have just gotten mixed up between 2018 and 2019.

Thanks again!

Advertisement