Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No news on the 2FM anymore?

Options
  • 05-06-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Last 2 mornings between the handover from the Breakfast Show to Jennifer there has been no news reports.

Has it been scrapped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's too much news/sports/traffic/weather reports on Irish radio.

Reports at 6,9,12,3,6,9 etc would suffice.

Don't need it every hour, and then sometimes headlines at the half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

NIMAN wrote: »

...and in Irish as well on 2FM. Don't we have RnaG for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

News everywhere else, I’d agree with that, See there’s a campaign going that people are not going to listen to Jennifer or Eoghan

Under BAI rules all radio stations must have a certain amount of news etc. If 2fm were allowed a derogation so would other radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Under BAI rules all radio stations must have a certain amount of news etc. If 2fm were allowed a derogation so would other radio stations.

Might have been some reasoning to it thirty or forty years ago. We're bombarded with the bloody stuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NIMAN wrote: »

And society continues to slide towards ignorance and apathy....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

News everywhere else, I’d agree with that, See there’s a campaign going that people are not going to listen to Jennifer or Eoghan

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Listening to a 5 minute news bulletin won't change any of that.

People really don't trust the media anymore and more people read/listened to/watched the news in the past because there were less forms of entertainment available not because they cared more about the world.

People really don't trust the media anymore and more people read/listened to/watched the news in the past because there were less forms of entertainment available not because they cared more about the world.

Listening to the news will absolutely reduce the amount of ignorance as to what is happening.

This thing of people not trusting the media (if it is true to a significant level) will not be improved by not broadcasting news.

I'm not sure how you surmised that people listened to the news because of an absence of entertainment. They listened to it to find out what was going on in the world.

Tinfoil hat wearers don't trust the media. Everyone else is fine with it.

• Advertisement

Listening to the news will absolutely reduce the amount of ignorance as to what is happening.

This thing of people not trusting the media (if it is true to a significant level) will not be improved by not broadcasting news.

I'm not sure how you surmised that people listened to the news because of an absence of entertainment. They listened to it to find out what was going on in the world.

There was less on TV back in the day, this is undeniable.

As an example of this when we had the basic satellite package of only 10 channels in our house my parents would watch the 9 o'clock news every night.Since we got the full Sky Package with around 200 channels 10 years ago only on very rare occasions have I seen them watching the news.

kneemos wrote: »
    Tinfoil hat wearers don't trust the media. Everyone else is fine with it.

I think most people have a mistrust of the media these days as they know almost every single media outlet has an agenda.

There was less on TV back in the day, this is undeniable.

As an example of this when we had the basic satellite package of only 10 channels in our house my parents would watch the 9 o'clock news every night.Since we got the full Sky Package with around 200 channels 10 years ago only on very rare occasions have I seen them watching the news.

Well, that single piece of anecdotal evidence has changed my mind.

My parents also have Sky and have the 9 o'clock news on series record to make sure they can watch it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah because updates on love island are really keeping the brakes on

Well, that single piece of anecdotal evidence has changed my mind.

My parents also have Sky and have the 9 o'clock news on series record to make sure they can watch it.....

Numerous sources are reporting a steady decline in television news viewership.

lawred2 wrote: »

You're right, let's throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

There wasn't news at 9am when it was Breakfast Republic was there, they usually did a quiz and went to the throwback tracks from my recollection.

AFAIK, the regulations are around News and Current Affairs, and a certain amount is required between 7am and 7pm, but you dont need regular bulletins each hour? Or maybe the 8am news covers the requirements for 8-9, and then after 9 Jen is doing enough "news & current affairs" to cover the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're right, let's throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You're being a tad dramatic. Anyone listening to the vapid tripe between the bulletins is unlikely to be overly concerned about the daily goings on outside their insta feed

You're being a tad dramatic. Anyone listening to the vapid tripe between the bulletins is unlikely to be overly concerned about the daily goings on outside their insta feed

You're being facetious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They have had 8am, 8.30am and 10am news slots over the past year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

In relation to trustworthiness, right across Europe, the highest trust in news media is in radio.

There's a valid argument about whether Irish radio needs the amount of news and current affairs that is demanded by the BAI, particularly music driven stations. However, 2FM as a public service broadcaster receiving licence fee money surely has a greater responsibility to inform younger adults than the likes of Spin, iRadio and Beat. At the moment it seems their news requirements are much more cumbersome and expensive than 2FM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

they should get rid of the presenters while they are at it..

they should get rid of the presenters while they are at it..

It would be so much better.

all that's left bar fanning, mr spring, battle and hegarty are females or female sounding male presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭TheDavester

yeah, ive heard on stations Cheryl Cole got a hair cut or a Kardashian did something....theyre really stretching for news on the hour every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

I noticed recently that the first news at weekends doesn't appear now until at least 9am?. What exactly is the current schedule for 2fm news ? I know that it was reported a couple of years ago that the evening and overnight news was to be scrapped. Btw, I'm not saying that there should be news on 2fm but from an anorak point of view it's interesting as they used to make a big deal about "news on the hour every hour" back in the day.

hard to believe up to a 5 - 7, years ago there was news on 2FM automated overnights

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

I hadn't listened to 2fm in years so hearing the weekend breakfast show having no news whatsoever was really striking to me as I recall back in the Simon young/Liam Quigley/Dave Redmond days they had news updates on the half-hour during weekend breakfast, just like weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I used to think it was incredible that the news was broadcast on 2fm back in the day ever hour.

Unreal. It was like we had moved into some kind of information super highway before I even knew what that was.

And the fact that the news was mostly the same every hour and someone was getting paid to say it every hour was even more incredible to me.

😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember when it was just the news but then about mid to late 88 or 89 they started advertising that they’d tag on sports news like it was a big thing. It just added extra time to the bulletins. I’d have been happier with them being axed.

Advertisement